Does windows 8 auto delete the files in the windows.old folder?

I upgraded to windows 8 about 2 weeks ago from Vista. I found my old programs in the windows.old folder and reset up my desktop links to their location in the windows.old folder. and everything ran fine. I have a 100GB SSD drive that I use for my OS and my main programs. It asked that I free up roughly 5GBs so that there be 20GB of free space. So I ran the disk clean up tool and got ride of a lot of old temp files. I think it ended up being nearly 7GBs of data freed. This was about a week ago. Still everything worked fine.

And then I come home from work, wake my desktop up from sleep, mess around a bit in a game that was in the windows.old folder and used Firefox which was also in the windows.old folder and then put the PC to sleep and went to dinner. I get home, go back to my PC and wake it up. Click on the firefox icon and get the message the .exe is no longer available and asked if i would like to delete the link. I go and check all of my links and they are all now broken. I look in the windows.old folder and now it is 98% empty.  My drive now has roughly 70GBs of free space. 

windows tech support is telling me that i was supposed to migrate all of my folders from the windows.old directory to the new directory. During the upgrade it implies that everything will be kept as it was and I shouldn't have to worry. Did MS fail to follow through on the advertised ease of installation? Granted it was the easiest install that I have encountered. But now it auto deleted all of the programs with out warning?

sorry for the novel, but as you can expect I'm one disappointed user. All my programs can be reinstalled, but all my documents and work are now lost.

I did run a file recovery program but it was not successful. 

So my questions is in the title. The rest is just me ranting in bewilderment.

Thanks for any help

|

did you run CLEANMGR (Free up space by deleting unnecessary files) because that will delete windows. Old files and files to free up space or di you run any other program like Ccleaner or a program that will clean junk from the system  

Sean

IT - Admin At My house

Sean M
UK

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I ran the disc clean up tool on my C drive the day I upgraded to windows 8 to free up a few GBs of space. Everything was fine after that. 

Windows Tech support thinks that Disk Cleaner continued to run in the back ground that it deleted everything in the windows.old directory. and that it was my fault for running the cleaner and not migrating the files out of the .old folder. 

I would never tell anyone to copy/paste a program file folder out of its installed folder and expect it to run. But Windows Tech support seems to think that is what i was supposed to have done. But I still lost all of my work that hadn't moved to a new directory. 

The install should have done this one its own. i still say MS failed at this part of the upgrade. 

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't remember excatly when it happens, but after two or three weeks Windows will auto delete the content of "Windows.old" except for the data stored under the folder for user profiles.

"Windows.old" is not ment to be used as a permanent backup storage or as a location to launch apps from. Most apps will indeed not be able to launch from that folder because they are not installed in the current OS.

The idea of "Windows.old" is that if you by any chance forgot to copy some important stuff before installing Windows you can always go back and get it. This is not ment as a permantent folder.

007 - Signature not found

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a very unfortunate problem for Windows 8. I came home to find the same issue on my computer tonight, and I've now lost all of my previous Windows version personal files and programs. I can't believe there's not a way for me to get them back now, and that I wasn't warned previously that I would lose them all!

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm sorry to hear that. The only thing you can do now is use a data recovery tool to get your files back. The key thing is that you use your computer as little as possible before you try to recover the data. The more you use the computer the less likely it will be that all files can be recovered.

There are many programs for data recovery, i.e. GetDataBack.

You sholud always keep a backup of your important files . A clean install, or upgrade but keep nothing, of Windows does in fact imply that nothing will be saved.

007 - Signature not found

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Sean

Thanks for the info on this issue. I was a little confused as I definitely wanted a clean install only to find the windows.old folder hogging up space. I know I indicated 'do nothing' and I still got this hold over junk. Unlike some others, I did back-up all my important files. Why ask to do nothing when it backs up the old program and previous windows installations. Again, thanks Sean.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Well what is bothersome, is that during the install. Windows 8 specifically says something to the effect of "Do nothing" and implies that everything that is currently installed will stay installed and we don't need to do anything. Which I thought was awesome and LONG over due.  Migrating everything from the .old folder should be mentioned at some point during the install or it should be done automatically.  

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 3,007 Applies to: