Corrupt file names when decompressin or browsing zip files/folders

I get garbled file names especially on most Japanese zip files when trying to decompress them in Windows 8 (pro 64bit).
  • I have tried other applications (7-zip, winrar, etc)
  • I have tried to make any of the above programs default program for zip files
  • I have tried to switch locale (to Japanese obviously) or use a version of applocale for windows 8.
The same zipfiles can be extracted without any problem on my old XP system (using 7-zip and applocale), so the files are possible to extract correctly.
Observe also that it is not all archives that are affected, neither is it necessarily all files within an archive. The same also applies for text within .txt files in zip archives (some work, some don't).
I have no problem working with folders or files with Japanese names otherwise on the computer and any zip archives I make with Japanese text works.
Find it very irritating that this feature does not work with my new computer and that I still need to use my old computer to unzip these files and then move them over to get them right.
Answer
Answer

I had this same problem.  The issue is that some international (especially Japanese) software still doesn't format their strings as unicode internally.

So, when the file gets saved, the filename is sent to the OS using JIS or Shift-JIS (in Japan's case).

In order for Windows 8 to properly recognize non-UTF non-latin character sets, you have to tell it which character set to use.

Here's how to do this on windows 8 :

Press START, type "Control Panel" and press enter.

Select "Clock, Language, and Region" then "Change Location"

This will open up a dialog box, select the "Administrative" tab.

Click the button that says "Change System Locale", then select the language you want to use when a program can't (or won't) use Unicode.

You will have to restart your PC, but after that, you should be able to see Japanese filenames without issue.

Hope that helps.

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2020 Views 30,157 Applies to: