Cannot enable file history

I cannot setup the file history to work on my external usb drive, or internal drive, or network share. I always get an "Unknown error". Or "File History doesn't recognise this drive".

One of my internal drives is visible and I first tried to use that. Maybe that mixed up something? If I know try to active the file history and change the drive, it asks me that whether I want to copy the files from the the previous place. If a press no, nothing happens. If I press yes, I get "We can't copy your files to this location, Failed to complete Migration to X:\ (error 80040301).

Question Info

Last updated December 14, 2019 Views 13,941 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I cannot setup the file history to work on my external usb drive, or internal drive, or network share. I always get an "Unknown error". Or "File History doesn't recognise this drive".

One of my internal drives is visible and I first tried to use that. Maybe that mixed up something? If I know try to active the file history and change the drive, it asks me that whether I want to copy the files from the the previous place. If a press no, nothing happens. If I press yes, I get "We can't copy your files to this location, Failed to complete Migration to X:\ (error 80040301).

To save other web searchers from a lot of trouble, it was Windows Search service. Enable it back on.

99 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.