Bug Report - Serious filesystem corruption and data loss caused to other NTFS drives by Windows 8 CP

My disk drive setup is as follows:

Disk 1 - Windows 7
Disk 2 - Data
Disk 3 - Windows 8 CP.

After installing Windows 8 CP on the release day and using it for a short while, I booted back into Windows 7. Upon booting into Windows 7, I got 'One of your drives needs to be checked for consistency' and it proceeded to chkdsk both the Windows 7 and data drives. Some issues were found on the data drive, but none on the Windows 7 drive.

I didn't think much of it so ran chkdsk another time on the data drive which all came up clean.

I then booted Windows 8 CP the next day, and was looking through the Windows backup implementation as I thought I would test restoring some of my Windows 7 files onto the Windows 8 disk. When I tried to select the backup location, which is on the Data disk, it said that the location may be corrupted.

I then decided to run a chkdsk on the Data disk within Windows 8. Big mistake. It found a massive number of issues and left the disk inaccessible as it deleted the ownership and security information from the files. 

I decided to reboot into Windows 7 to attempt to fix the problem, but I missed the boot screen and it rebooted into Windows 8.

Whilst Windows 8 was booting, it started running a chkdsk on my Windows 7 drive which I figured was strange because I hadn't accessed that drive whilst I was booted into Windows 8. After it had finished, Windows 8 booted, so I rebooted and selected Windows 7, which booted almost to the login screen then had a BSOD stating that 'a critical process had terminated'.

Fortunately, I had a complete backup and system image, which I restored.

The point to this long winded post is that Windows 8 CP caused this corruption somehow and it needs to be looked into. I'm not a n00b and am happy to provide anything required to get this issue fixed.

I do plan to attempt to reproduce it, as I am confident of it being easily reproduced.

Searching the internet results in some people who are seeing forced chkdsks when dual booting with Windows 7, which seems to be the precursor to the serious filesystem corruption which I saw, which occurs after the Windows 8 chkdsk is ran on the allegedly corrupted disks.

If any further information is required, don't hesitate to ask.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2013 Views 3,020 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I experienced similar problem.

My PC's local storage (SSD) has following partitions:
  1. Primary: NTFS: Windows 7 system
  2. Primary: NTFS: Windows 8 CP system
  3. Extended: Logical: NTFS: Data
I freshly installed Windows 8 CP onto 2nd partition and then switched to Windows 7 in 1st partition by changing active flag. After that, switched again to Windows 8 CP and used it  for a while and then reboot. Now, during booting, Windows 8 CP showed some troubles happened and tried to fix them in vain. So, I switched back to Windows 7. This time, Windows 7 automatically started chkdsk onto 1st partiton and 2nd partition, which Windows 8 CP resides. After completing chkdsk, Windows 7 booted up. And again, I switched to Windows 8 CP but the situation was same and it could not boot up.

I experienced same thing several times and in one case, Windows 7 also failed to restore 1st partition and so both OSes went dead.

So, I think Windows 8 CP might have serious compatibility problem with Windows 7 in the way to handle NTFS file system.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've had the same issue, Windows 7 on first drive, installed a spare drive I had as a second drive and installed windows 8 CP onto that. Had no end of disk lockups, screen freezing with hard drive light on, and when booting back into windows 7, had to run chkdsk almost every time after I'd been into windows 8.

As I can't afford to lose any data off my windows 7 drive I've uninstalled windows 8 for now as I'm not prepared to use it while it puts my data on another drive at risk. I do have it all backed up, but it takes a while to get it all back!

Once this issue is resloved I'll try windows 8 again, but not until then!

Sorry this didn't help.

I had this exact problem when I tried out the Developer Preview version. in this instance I had the system setup using Windows Dual/Multi Boot. After a couple of reboots I could not boot into either system and had to do a clean install of Windows 7. Needless to say I did not re-install the Developer Preview at that time.

If have now installed and tried the Consumer Preview version but this time I have installed on another drive. During the install I kept the Windows 7 drive disconnected so that the only way to change which system to boot into was via bios.

All seemed to go well for a few system change overs (about 10) and then Windows 7 wanted to do a chkdsk on the Windows 8 drive. Rather than risk having to do a system rebuild I have had to stop using Windows 8 Consumer Preview. This is a shame as I think that windows 8 is a fantastic evolution of the Windows operating system and I was just about to make it my everyday system (I almost had all of the software that i needed installed).

I have had many dual boot/bios boot system over the years since Win XP. Including XP/Vista, Vista/Win7 Beta, Vista/Win7 RC and never before experianced problems like this one.

I hope that this problem can be resolved quikly as I do not have a spare PC to run Win8 on.

Note: after some more research on other forums, I may have found a possible cause.

I have a habit of changing the drive letters after I have done a clean install. When I do an install I have all my other hard disks disconnected to prevent Windows from installing a dual boot, the reason for this is so that I can have both drives bootable in case of a drive failure (dual boot always boot of the same same drive). I usually have the C: drive as the drive that I run every day and the D: drive has a fairly clean install of Windows on it that I can swapto incase of a drive failure.

By installing like this you end up with your Boot drive as C:, your DVD drive as D: and then when you connect the other hard drive it becomes E: I then change the D: and E: drives around the stick with older conventions and because it seems more logical.

Did anyone else that is having this problem change drive letters around on one or both of their installs?????

I don't want to have to do a full Windows 7 rebuild with all of my software unless this really turns out to be the cause of the problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here except I have Win 7 & Win 8 CP installed on seperate drives (not dual boot). I can use either OS by simply changing out disks.

The 2 OS's share one common permanent data drive.

When changing drives from Win 8 to Win 7 chkdsk will run every time at boot on the data drive. No problems are found and the machine boots normally into win 7. The data drive is OK.

When changing from Win7 to Win 8 chkdsk has ran only once (I've swapped the drives at least half a dozen times) and It found problems which it attempted to fix. It finished and then booted into win 8 where I discovered the data drive was unaccessible. I had to restore my backup in order to access my data.

MS needs to address this problem ASAP. In the mean time I will unfortunately have to suspend testing Win 8 CP.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had this problem on both the DP and the CP - but with Win8 as the only OS. It works fine for a while but after a few days/weeks of hibernate/resume, it starts to have problems starting and tries to fix itself. The first few times it does that it works but it ends up not being able to repair and a re-install is required.

I also note very high HDD usage on resume prior to the problems starting. The task manager reports 100% HDD usage and the HDD light is on solid but from what I can tell, there's no real reason for it. The computer slows to a crawl because of this, not even the mouse will respond at times during this period - which can last up to 15mins. After a few resumes with this problem occuring, the disk corruption starts to happen - it seems mainly to be the boot information that is getting corrupted.

Oddly enough, the above issues happened much more quickly in the CP than they did in the DP - I ran that for a couple of months before any issues. I think the last batch of updates for the DP are what started it and it looks like they were carried over to the CP.

The machine in question is an Acer Ferrari One with upgraded CPU (AMD TK-42 1.6ghz, only reports as 1.2ghz) and HDD (WD Scorpio Black).

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same issue, searched and that bought me here, where it seems I'm not alone.

Similar set up to others

c: win7
d: data
e: win8

Everything started fine until a few weeks in and chkdisk started kicking in whenever I wanted to boot into win7, found no problems if I let it run, HDD seemed noisier if I didnt't! (?)

I've now deleted win8 CP - I don't want to be in a position where I end up with no working OS and potential HDD issues!

Hopefully MS will sort it out and I can reinstall but for now, it's gone.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have had the same problem, except the corruption prevents me from reaching the desktop after a few reboots, I have a four drive configuration and about 2.1TB of data that was altered so that the permissions didn't even allow access to windows 8 in some instances. After a few re-installs to see if I could stop this from happening I returned to 7 where i had to manually enter all permissions on non-OS drives to access my data again. My music seems to have lost the ability to be sorted by category in media player which is very odd. The first and most frequent problem is reaching an all black screen with only a mouse curser. Twice I got an error about loginui.exe being corrupt or missing. I didn't think to right it down but I'm going to continue trying to implement this on a machine will less sensitive data and will report if I find a work around.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have since fixed all my data by manually entering my user account name on all the security permissions for the entire drive, worked on all three drives and as a bonus by removing and then reloading my media player library, it managed to properly catalog my songs again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just as a matter of interest, what hardware do you guys have? Maybe hardware is the common factor.

My system with the issue is a 2 * dual core xeon 5150 with a 5000X chipset and a 631xESB/632xESB SATA AHCI controller.

Sorry this didn't help.

That sounds like a different issue to me. 

I have had no problems with just W8 installed. 

Perhaps your hard disk *is* actually slowly failing and randomly corrupting data. Or perhaps you have bad RAM, etc.

Sorry this didn't help.