windows8 mail app unable to reinstall error code 0x80073d05

Hi,

Yesterday my mail app froze. I tried rebooting pc several times without success. All other apps worked well. Only when I opened mail app it freezes.

I uninstalled it along with calendar, message and people app.

When I tried to reinstall I got error code 0x80073d05

I tried Microsoft fix - the program ran fine and said it fixed few issues. I restarted computer and attempted to reinstall the mail app. Same error message.

I ran command sfc /scannow from command prompt as administrator. I got message that it could not fix it.

I cleared store cache with wsreset.exe

I can install other apps like yahoo mail without any issues. Only Mail app I can't install.

Please advise.

- sathish

Answer
Answer

This is now fixed.

Uninstall mail app from all users including Administrator.

If you have previously had a user account and removed it (using user account management), but kept files like I did. Remove these account profiles as below (step 1)

1. I used to have another user account and I deleted it a while ago. I found that I kept the files of that account.

Initially I tried to delete user account folder (c:\users\Name of folder) from the File explorer. There were two files unable to delete. I had to delete them from command prompt. Then this user account folder in c:\users form again and again after deleting it multiple times. Then I logged into the default Adminstrator account and deleted the user account folder from file explorer. I logged out of Administrator and logged in to my usual account. This stopped the user account folder from appearing again.

Even after uninstalling mail app - folder for communications app existed. Here is what I did:

2. I renamed communicationsapps folder in path:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Packages

(I couldn't delete the folder - I got error that folder is not empty. Hence I renamed it.)

After this I reset windows store cache and reinstalled the mail app. It worked. I don't know which of the above step helped. I believe it was step 2.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2020 Views 5,491 Applies to: