Windows 8 Pro Mail app does not play wav files?

I really love Windows 8 Pro on my desktop so far and I can say excellent work MS! I am just wondering why is it that Windows 8 Mail in Pro won't play wav files or why aren't you allowed to choose a default program to open them up with instead of having to save them, title them and then open them up with winamp.  This is a real Inconvenience for me and lot of people that have magicjack and digital phone service as I see that it not only effects Windows 8 Pro but Windows 8 Phone and RT as well.  If this doesnt get fixed I think this could hurt sales of any 8 devices not really desktops but surface and phone 8 since Apple and Android don't seem to have this problem.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 672 Applies to:
Hi,

Thank you for writing in Microsoft Communities.

The work around is to change the 'default programs' of a file type under 'associate a file type or protocol with a specific program'.

Choose the programs Windows uses by default: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Set program access and computer defaults: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-program-access-computer-defaults

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Winamp is set to play these files by default but I still have to save the file and name it in windows then return to windows and open it with winamp like had said "why aren't you allowed to choose a default program to open them up with instead of having to save them, title them and then open them up with winamp." windows mail does not initiate the app and play them while still in mail i have to leave mail to hear them it is an annoying feature another thing is that windows 8 player wont play wav files but its a player?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for responding back.

We have the options to 'open with' when clicked on the '.wav' attachment or any other attachment for that instance.

Install the latest update along with all the app updates and check if the same issue occur.

Hope this information is helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,
Can you please tell us the name of the program/app that plays wav files?
Thank you,
- Ed Kramer

Sorry this didn't help.

Re: Windows 8 Pro Mail app does not play wav files? , 1 Jan 13

I go to 'control panel,' 'defaults,' etc as suggested to default/associate MagicJack but the MagicJack icon is not on the list for association.  MagicJack is installed on the PC and works well except that .wav messages on mail will not 'open.'  What do you suggest?

I did not have this problem with win7.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mike Hilford, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.