Windows 8 Mail App - For Gmail accounts, how to make delete button archive?

I have a couple Gmail accounts I'm trying to get working in the Windows 8 Mail app.  The problem is that if I press the Delete button in the upper right of the app, it is sending my mail message to the Trash in Gmail, where it get permanently deleted after 30 days.  I want the Delete button to just remove the item from its current location and "archive" it instead (not go to Trash).  I need this so that I can retain search history of old messages.

I've checked in my Gmail settings (on their site) and on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab, I already have "Auto-expunge on" and "Archive the message" when a message is marked as deleted.

Further, I've seen other support posts here that say the default behavior when pressing the Delete button for them is the exact opposite of what I see (they say it archives instead of trashes).  I'm thoroughly confused on that since that's what I want but don't see anything else to try to get it.

Can someone please give some insight on how to get this working?  I have my iPad's Mail app working fine in this regard.  But this issue makes it hard to fully make the switch over to my Surface Pro.

Answer
Answer

I found a solution!!!

It is quite simple.

1. Go to Gmail settings - labels

On the right side of the screen, you can select which folders show in imap.

2. Remove the ckeckmark next to bin/trash

Now the trash folder won't show up in imap-based mail apps (like the Win 8 mail app).

3. Now go to the windows 8 mail app. If you still see a Bin or Trash folder, sync (right click - left most option)

4. Open the charms bar (swipe in from the right side of the screen or move your mouse cursor to the upper right of the screen and then down). Go to settings - accounts - pick your gmail account. Scroll to the bottom of the settings panel

You will now see an option which folder you want to use as trash!!! See attached picture

5. Pick [Gmail]\All Mail as the trash folder

Done! Now when you delete a mail it will be archived.

Can't believe there is even a solution, I couldn't find one on the web, found this by accident. Hope this will help lots of people. Now if only both Microsoft and Google would put this in their official faq's...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
I was trying to accomplish the same thing. What I am doing for now is the following:

1. Select the messages you want to archive

2. Press Ctrl+M and select the folder "All Mail"

This does the same thing the "Archive" button does at Gmail. Also, after you've done it once, the folder "All Mail" will be automatically selected, I believe, so you just need to select the message and press Ctrl+M+Enter.

I hope this helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2018 Views 9,928 Applies to: