unable to open attachments (word or excel) in my gmail account

Good day,
I'm using Windows 8 and installed MSOFFICE 2010 (Home and Student version). I've encountered problem opening attachments in my gmail account. The error would say the file attached was corrupted. However, the same file was forwarded to my friend and could be opened. Similarly, i have no problem opening in my Windows 7 based PC. Could you help me? Is there bug in Windows 8 or MSOffice 2010 that prevents me to open attachments? Urgent....

rgds
William
|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to the Windows 8 Community. I understand that you are unable to access e-mail attachments. I do understand the inconvenience caused to you.

I would suggest you to follow the method and check if it helps.

Download and save the file first and try to open it. If that does not work then check the file associations for the file type.

Method 1: Please Run App troubleshooter.

Download and run the Modern UI App troubleshooter and check.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2: Sync license for Mail app.

a.       Press the Windows key + C (while on the store page)

b.      Click Settings.

c.       Click App Updates.

d.      Select Sync licenses.

Method 3: File association.

a.       From the start screen, type “File association”.

b.      View the listed file extensions and locate the file type that you are trying to open.

c.       Tap or click the file type then tap or click Change program.

d.      Follow the instructions on the screen to select the application you want to set as default for the file type.

Reference:-

Mail: Frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/mail-faq

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2020 Views 2,361 Applies to: