Money for what should be a free upgrade?

After spending $171.00 (Taxes and shipping in ) for windows 8 pro, believing the pro version to have all the bells and whistles. I went to the windows download site to get the windows media center software only to find another $9.99 charge. This is an outrageous money grab for something that should be free and was in the month of January!

Two weeks of a frustrating install, due to driver conflicts and then faced with this, makes one realize why microsoft is losing more and more of it's market share to the competition. If a free media center download is not offered in the near future microsoft will lose my custom as well. 

Looking forward to your response

P. D. Miller

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
You will not find a free version of the Media Center to be available anytime soon.  It has been known for about a year now that Media Center would not be included by default and that it would be charged for.

That is just one of the many topics found on a search of the topic.

In regards to the aspect that Media Center was free in January, it was actually free from Oct till Jan when Microsoft was holding their upgrade promotion to everyone.  If you purchased Windows 8 during that time, you got the upgrade for $39.99 digitally and could get Media Center for free as well.  Since that promotion ended, so did the free copy of Media Center.
Regards,
Me
Irrelevant by choice

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.