importing .pst files into the Windows 8 Mail app?

I have read in another post that it is not possible to import old emails from a Outlook .pst file into the Windows 8 Mail app,

Is there any way to get my old emails into the app? (I am buying a new PC with Windows 8 so I'm moving from Outlook 2007 on a Windows 7 machine to Windows 8) Maybe if i exported the Outlook data into another format?

It is a pop3 email account that i use for work and so IMAP isn't an option and simply linking my Hotmail email address won't solve the problem.

Will I just have to use Outlook on the new Windows 8 machine

Will there be a way of importing pst files in the future?
|

AFAIK there's no option in the Windows Mail app to import anything. In addition the Windows Mail app is a VERY basic email client.

If you have Outlook 2007, 2010 or 2013, then just install that on your new computer.

See here on how to migrate your Outlook data correctly.

http://tinyurl.com/2eeta9b

Some more info that may help your transition:

Windows 8 has two modes - the modern GUI and Desktop mode, that looks and behaves just like Windows 7.

On your Start screen, click the Desktop tile to go into the Desktop.

You can tell your computer to boot into the Desktop mode by default (and reinstate the Start button as well) by using one of these utilities:

How to regain the start menu in Windows 8:

Free:

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Small cost – currently US$5

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I use the Stardock product and you can't tell from looking at my computer that I am not running Windows 7...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, I didn't think so really, i was hoping to just stick with the built in stuff, make it a bit smoother and less to install and use.

Thought someone might know a workaround.

I did look at products to alter the 8 appearance, but I think i'll stick with the standard GUI.

I used stardock on other systems to give extra customisations to Windows, also used rainmeter for a few things too...

But it looks like it's back to Outlook.

C'mon Microsoft, if you're going to make these apps for new operating systems, at least make us old users able to migrate from your other software to your new stuff lol

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is a somewhat lenghty process, but YES you CAN get your old emails from a .pst file into
Windows 8 Mail app.  As long as you have created a backup of your .pst file somewhere, what you have to do is install your Outlook mail program in Windows 8.  Set up your hotmail/outlook email account as you did in Windows 7.  Once you have access to your email account in Outlook, create a new folder and give it a name ("Storage Old", etc.).   Now, open the old Outlook .pst email file that you saved into the Outlook program (File - Open- .pst file).  You should see your old emails on the left side of Outlook named whatever you named your .pst file.  Simply copy the emails (or folders) from the opened .pst file into your newly creatged storage folder in your hotmail/outlook email account.  This will take a long time to sync on the server, but once completed, all your emails will show up in that folder in Mail Client in Windows 8 Mail.  I did it and it worked flawlessly.  I have all my emails back to 1996 in my Mail Client and I don't have to use Outlook anymore.  However, the problem of not being able to send files from Windows Explorer to email still exists.  You MUST attach a file from within a "new mail."  You cannot "send to" a file INTO a "new mail."  Microsoft NEEDS TO FIX THIS NOW!!! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi .... I'm trying what you suggested but each time I try to copy a folder from my old PST file to the new folder ( old stuff) I get an error message that says "A top level folder cannot be copied to one of its subfolders Or you may not have appropriate permissions for this folder"

For sure I am not trying to coy a folder to its sub folder and when I look under folder permissions there is really nothing to change.

Any suggestions ?

Thank you in advance :-)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

maybe I am not doing this right ..

I have Outlook installed in Windows 10.

I created a "destination" subfolder in my Hotmail.com

I opened the "source" folder in the saved .pst

I then selected all the emails in the "source" folder and dragged them to the "destination" folder.

it gives an error

"Cannot move the items. The folders you are trying to change do not support this operation. Sorry, Exchange ActiveSync doesn't support what you're trying to do"

how am I suppose to to "copy" the emails (or folders) into the Hotmail email account folder?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Exchange Active Sync (EAS) which is the protocol that Outlook.com (Hotmail.com) uses doesn't allow for copying folders or emails to its storage folders in Outlook.

The answer is this (I hope!)

Log onto your Hotmail account in Internet Explorer (yes Windows 10 still has it!)

Click on the Settings gearwheel in the top right.

Click on Options>Import Email accounts.

At the bottom you'll see an option to import emails from mail clients on your computer.

Try that.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 31, 2020 Views 28,948 Applies to: