How to set up Windows 8 Mail to access outlook.com

Trying to set up a Window 8 PC. I have a new, ad-supported outlook.com account with a private domain name. Using Internet Explorer, I can log into the outlook.com account to send/receive mail. Works fine. But, I cannot get the Win8 email client to connect with outlook.com.

When I try to add it as an Outlook account, I give *** Email address is removed for privacy *** as my email address; the client "thinks" for 30 to 60 seconds and then reports "We couldn't find settings for *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. Provide us with more info and we'll try connecting again." If I try adding a domain (mydomain.us) and username (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***), the client immediately reports "Unable to connect..." Seems I need to provide a server name. However, I'm unable to find a servername anywhere in outlook.com's settings dialog. The instructions I've found on the web for finding outlook.com server names using the outlook.com web app simply don't work with the version of outlook.com I'm seeing.

I've tried using "Other" instead of Outlook in the Add Accounts dialog with similar results.

Oddly, I'm really surprised this doesn't "just work." Can't figure out for the life of my why Win8 isn't just finding and sync'ing my outlook.com email. When I go to Win8 "People" app, it clearly shows I'm connected to Microsoft as *** Email address is removed for privacy ***; it's configured to sync email as it arrives; and it seemed to pick up my contacts from outlook.com. Just unable to get email to show up in the email app.

Ideas?

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2019 Views 5,265 Applies to:
You're right - odd.  When I set up my computer (win8 clean install on a 3 yr old Toshiba laptop) it asked if I had a Microsoft Account - I said yes and loaded my Outlook credentials and it just works - I never had to add the account.  Two things might help you - 1) I logged in with my full email address (I know you probably did, but I had to mention it) and 2) I have previously "converted" my hotmail account to outlook permanently.

Checking my settings in Windows Mail told me nothing that would help you.  No specifics there.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi

Did you get this sorted out?

I just got a new laptop and have the same issue. The mail works on my Windows Phone but it won't work on the Win 8 App. I have to continue to use Outlook online and I'm forwarding my Gmail to it.

If I set up the Gmail account, it works fine!

Help!

M

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.