how do you restart your computer with windows 8. this is the biggest crock of ****. they didn't even give us a button to restart so new programs and updates can load. you suck windows 8!

how do you restart your computer with windows 8. this is the biggest crock of ****. they didn't even give us a button to restart so new programs and updates can load.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 247 Applies to:

Hi,

I have found a nifty little utility that works great. It is kind of old but works in Win 7 and Win 8.

I included a link to the file, and instructions here...they are hard to find.

http://aumha.org/downloads/shutdown.zip

Shutdown & Restart Shortcuts for Windows XP & Windows 2000

SHUTDOWN /?

For a shortcut to RESTART Windows XP:SHUTDOWN -r -t 01 
For a shortcut to SHUT DOWN Windows XP: SHUTDOWN -s -t 01

You can create desktop shortcuts to shutdown or restart Windows, or go into standy or hibernate mode, with a single click.
You can put these shortcuts anyplace you like — on the desktop itself, the Quick Launch bar, your Start Menu — wherever.

To make a new shortcut, right-click on an empty part of the desktop (or inside a folder).
Select New, then Shortcut. A “wizard” will pop up to guide you through the rest of the process.
You will have to provide a command line, and then a name. The name can be anything you want.

The freeware utility Shutdown.exe (not to be confused with the Windows utility by the same name) by MS-MVP Andrej Budja.

After you place this utility in the root folder of C:,
the commands for a shutdown, restart, or hibernate (respectively),

each without a time delay, would be...

shutdown -u -t 0 for shutdown, shutdown -r -t 0 for restart, and shutdown -h -t 0 for hibernate.

(the -t is for a time delay, and the number is how long.)

There  are other ways to access Restart in Win 8 but I like this one...

Another option is hitting Alt+ F4 from the desktop. This brings up a Win 7 type shutdown window. 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Go to the Charms | Settings | Power and there you can restart.  They just hid everything to make people think Windows was different this time.

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Didn't look like this got answered and I found the answer on "Toms laptop guide" that works best for me today...

Look all the way below if difficulties are encounterd...

Navigate to the desktop.

• Right click on the desktop and select New -> Shortcut. A shortcut menu appears.

• Enter shutdown /s /t 0 (that’s a zero) in the location box and hit Next. 
  • Enter a name for the shortcut and click Finish. A new shortcut will appear on your desktop.

• Right click on the shortcut and select Properties. A dialog box appears.
  • Click Change Icon under the Shortcut tab then Click Ok in warning box that says shutdown.exe contains no icons.

• Select an Icon from the list of available images Click Ok twice (once to close the Change Icon window and once to close Properties window). Your shortcut will now have an icon.

• Right click the shortcut and select Pin to Start. The shutdown icon will now appear on your Start screen.

• Drag the shutdown icon to a prominent place on your Start screen. We recommend putting it in the first column to the left so you will always see it.
  • Right click the icon and select Pin to Taskbar if you want the shortcut to live on your desktop’s taskbar as well.
  • Repeat the previous steps to create a Restart button. Use the command “shutdown /r /t 0″ in the location field. 

Two notes if the shutdown attempt does not work and just flashes a DOS screen as it wouldn't work for me but it did for many others... Use the string below which works for my 8.1 do everything else the same.

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s

For restart  instead of shutdown use this string:

Enter %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe /r /t 0 (that’s a zero) in the location

• Of course name it Restart not Shutdown.

• This was a Glenn Geary fix that worked for me.

I pinned both to my Start menu and to my Taskbar and think they perform awesome...

Here is my actual screenshot of Taskbar the Red box is Shutdown the Green shaded circle is Restart. I could not fit the screenshot of my Start menu here for some reason however it is in another of my posts if you want to see it...

Hope this saves you time... Indrid

• Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.