Completely blank screen in mail app

I just bought the Windows 8 download to install over Vista on a Acer Netbook (i.e. uses a mouse). I hit the "mail" app button(?) and got a message to check my e-mail and verify that it's mine. I did this (on another computer of course) and received a message back indicating that I could continue with whatever it was I was doing. I closed the "Mail" app and hit it again. This time I get a completely blank screen - very repeatable. Not really "blank" though, the left third of the screen is slightly grey. Nothing else on the screen - any ideas?

I would like to send and received my POP3 e-mails from my Yahoo business website. I have always used Outlook Express. Is this possible with Windows 8?

Answer
Answer

Hi,    

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community Forum please be assured that we will do our best to assist you with this issue.

From the description, I understand that you are facing an issue with the Mail app.

Try the following steps and check if the mail app works fine:

Method 1:

Try to run the troubleshooter which automatically fixes some issues that might prevent your apps from running, including suboptimal screen resolution and incorrect security or account settings.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/4/F24D0C03-4181-4E5B-A23B-5C3A6B5974E3/apps.diagcab

Method 2:

Try the suggestions provided in the following link and check:

What to do if you have problems with an app
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

The Mail app that is included with Windows 8 does not support POP3 accounts.

The following is the workaround by using Outlook.com.

With Outlook.com, you can link an existing POP account to your Microsoft Account.

Here are the steps:

1. Log into Outlook.com with your Microsoft Account
2. At the top right, click on the setting icon
3. Select “ More Mail Settings”. This will bring up the inbox option
4. Select “Sending/Receiving mail from other accounts
5. You will then see a page where you can add the details of the account. Make sure you click on “Advanced options”. This will provide you the field boxes for the POP configuration.

6. Configure your Windows 8 with the same Microsoft account that you used to log into Outlook.com (if it has not been done yet).
7. You should also consider changing the “Reply-to address” if you want to use the same address from the POP account. By default, Outlook.com will use the Microsoft Account address. This configuration can also be set on the “More Mail Settings” page.

When replying to a message delivered to the POP3 address, the message will be sent from the Outlook.com account, not the POP account and may include a “on behalf of header”

The Mail app is only able to send from the account that it has the settings for.

Hope this information helps. If you have further questions feel free to reply and we would be glad to assist.

Ravinath P
Forum Moderator - Multiple Forums

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 18, 2020 Views 3,363 Applies to: