Can't empty deleted emails in Windows 8 Mail program

I just started with Windows 8 and email.  I don't understand how the Mail tile works with other email programs (Windows Live Mail, Outlook) except for the Inbox.  In any event, I can't empty the deleted emails folder, can't forward existing emails to anyone.  Also, when I select "Move" from the lower function menu, the screen dims out and no other keys or menus appear.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2019 Views 5,382 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Judy,

It’s great to know that you have chosen Windows 8 and welcome to Microsoft Community!

Its seems that you are looking for an option in the Windows 8 Mail App to empty the deleted mail folder as we had in Microsoft Outlook or Windows Live Mail.

We do not have an option to empty the deleted mail folder in the Mail App. But, instead we can instantly delete all the mail from the deleted folder by selecting all the deleted emails and then deleting them permanently.

A.       Open the Mail App and click on “Deleted”.

B.       Click on the first mail in the folder and press “Ctrl” + “A” keys on the keyboard to select all the emails in the folder.

C.       Click on “Delete” icon on the right side of the window.

Now, all the emails in the deleted folder will be deleted.

For moving an email to a different folder, try these steps:

A.       Right-click on the email that you would like to move.

B.       Select “Move”.

C.       Now, when the screen dims out, from the left side of the window, you can select the folder to which you would like to move the selected email.

(There will be no additional menus or keys appearing when the screen dims out. Instead, you will be able to select the destination folder at the left side of the window.)

Check this link for more information:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/mail-app-faq

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.