Cannot send mail from Windows 8 Mail app

Installed Win8 pro (upgraded from win7 x64) a couple of days ago and set up the Mail app to work with all my e-mail accounts. I have several: one gmail, one outlook.com, and three or four regular POP3/IMAP on my own, hosted domains. The problem is that I cannot send e-mails from any of the IMAP accounts or the outlook.com account. I receive e-mails okay, but sending doesn't work - they just end up in the outbox and then nothing happens.

This does not appear to be a settings issue - I use the same settings as in my Outlook 2010 client and I have chatted with hosting support (they confirmed my settings, all of them). However, I have noticed that when manually "syncing" I get temporary error messages saying accounts are "unavailable" (in the top right corner). This applies to my POP3/IMAP accounts as well as the outlook.com account. May be a temporary issue, though, since I have no problem receiving e-mails.

I've used a downloadable troubleshooter for Win8 apps that I found here at Microsoft Answers, but it found nothing. And nobody else seems to have this problem (neither here nor on other forums). What could be wrong?

Any suggestions for how to deal with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to invest in a Windows 8 Phone later on, but I would like to make sure e-mailing works first.
Answer
Answer

Please wait for the update to be available on different markets. The build 16.4.4406.1205 is the latest one with the fix.

Added on Oct 17, 2013

With Windows 8.1 upgrade, Mail App will support invalid server certificates(error with CN not match, untrusted root and expired certificate). This means that user can temporarily dismiss the certificate error when connecting to IMAP/EAS server using SSL connection. The setting is available throw Account -> Settings.

Ken(MSFT)

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2019 Views 36,507 Applies to: