Windows 8 keyboard layout bug

Sometimes, for no good reason, the keyboard layout changes on me. I've yet to find a pattern, but as another user reported, I often notice it at login when I type my password (I think that at those times it just had changed before shutdown an I didn't notice until login).

But now, the oddest thing about this bug is what you can see in this screen:

http://sdrv.ms/X0NvAH

I have both US and PT language set to use the PT keyboard layout, but at times it changes randomly and without my intervention to US with US layout, when that isn't even an option I have enabled in the preferences... but then I can cycle though it using Win+Space, really odd.

I've yet to figure what triggers this bug, but I hope this information is helpful. (maybe some "default" is triggered somewhere)

|

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

From the description I understand that you are facing an issue with the keyboard layout changes automatically from Portuguese to US (United States).

It could be if the Override for default input method settings are not set. I would suggest you to follow the steps and check.

To assist you better I would appreciate if you could answer the following questions:

1)      Have you made any changes to the hardware or software prior to the issue?

2)      Does this issue happen when you try performing any particular task?

3)      Is there any Security Software installed on the computer?

Follow the steps and check it helps,

To Change display language and input language

Follow these steps:

a)      Press the ‘Windows + X’ key on the keyboard.

b)      Type Control Panel and click on Enter.

c)       Select Clock, language and region.

d)      Click on Language, click on “Advanced settings” from the left panel.

e)      Select Portuguese under Override for Windows display language and Override for default input method section.

f)       Click on “Save” button.

Method 2: I would suggest you to try in the clean boot and check,

Perform Clean Boot.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Important: Reset the computer to start to normal startup.

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a)      Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b)      In the ‘Run’ window type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c)       On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d)      When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Refer to the link,

Change the keyboard layout

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/change-keyboard-layout

This information should help you. If you need further assistance regarding keyboard layout, please let us know we will be happy to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply.

Both Override for Windows display language and Override for default input method where set to "Use language list (recommended)".

I have now set:

Override for Windows display language to English (United States)

and

Override for default input method  to English (United States) - Portuguese

Which where both the first option on the list anyway!

English (United States) - US is not on the list yet the system would default to it in circumstances I wasn't able to identify.

I'll reboot and check if this solve the issue, if not I'll try to nail down what triggers the layout change and try clean boot..

Regarding your questions:

1)      Have you made any changes to the hardware or software prior to the issue?

I've had "encounters" with this bug since the preview, the hardware is the same.

2)      Does this issue happen when you try performing any particular task?

I don't know, it is not readily apparent to me when the change happens, only when I need to use special characters will I notice that the layout has changed, so I have never been able to link it to anything I might be doing at the time.

3)      Is there any Security Software installed on the computer?

None besides the included Windows Defender and Firewall.

Explaining my setup:

My laptop has a Portuguese layout keyboard.

I use English daily, so I have set it as my main system language (both display and proofing).

I have Portuguese as my second language so I can get proofing when writing in Portuguese.  (As you can see from the screen I don't have Portuguese installed as a display language)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I ve got exactly the same issue.

Running Windows 8.1 with English and Portuguese installed and the override settings set.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

We have the same issue in our company, and the worst of it is that we configure only 1 language and 1 keyboard after installation of OS.

But for an unknown reason, one keyboard layout is adding by himself to our language and there is also a second language with a keyboard layout that is adding suddenly.

You have to know that we are installing Windows 8.1 with SCCM2012 and after installation we are removing this second layout and second language manually.

The problem doesn't occurs everywhere hopefully for us. But it has happened multiples times now and it continue to happen.

When the problem occurs the default welcome screen keyboard is changing to french layout but we are using Swiss french layout keyboard. This problem makes our user locking their account regularly.

Actually we did not find the root cause of the problem and we can't reproduce it. 

Do you have any update about this problem ?

Thanks in advanced,

Fabian.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2019 Views 2,760 Applies to: