windows 8 and IE 10 won't let me dowwnload files from my email or URL.

I'm running windows 8 and using IE 10. I first noticed I couldn't download files from my yahoo account. I then notice due to some instruction to download drivers to fix the problem, I couldn't download those either. What is stopping me from downloading files? I didn't change anything today?

Question Info

Last updated June 19, 2019 Views 587 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Jeff,

Please do answer to these questions for us to understand the issue better.

1.       What exactly happen when you try to download the files from your email or any websites? Are you getting any error message?

2.       What drivers are you trying to download and from which website?

3.       Do you have a third party security program installed on your computer?

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if that helps.

Method 1: Run the automated Internet Explorer troubleshooters

Step 1: Run Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter.

The Internet Explorer Performance Troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check for any performance issues which are common with the Internet Explorer on the computer and provides the details on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)        Click on “Internet Explorer Performance”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Step 2: Run Internet Explorer Safety Troubleshooter.

This troubleshooter will check for the issues with the safety and privacy features and settings of the Internet Explorer 10. It checks for any changes to the default settings and will try to revert the changes back to default. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

a)       Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.

b)       Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.

c)       In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.

d)        Click on “Internet Explorer Safety”.

e)       Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.

f)        Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are using any third party security program on your computer, then let’s check if that is blocking the downloads. To check this you may go ahead with the next method.

Method 2: Set Internet Explorer 10 as default web browser and check

I would suggest you to set Internet Explorer as default web browser and then check if it helps. You may refer to the article: “Make Internet Explorer your default browser” from this link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/make-ie-default-browser#ie=ie-10

If the issue persists, then try the next method

Method 3:  Temporarily disable the third party security program. (If you have installed any)

If you have installed any third party security program, then I request you to contact its technical support to temporarily disable the program and then check the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Please do reply with the answers to all the questions and troubleshooting results for us to assist you further.

Regards,
Rajesh Govind - Microsoft Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.