What is Away Mode?

What exactly is Away Mode in Windows 8? I have looked all over the Internet found something but it didn't really exactly told me what it is. What does it do? I've read up a little bit about it, can I do tasks such as Share Media to media devices such as a PS3 or Xbox 360 in Away Mode? What can or can't I do in Away Mode? What differs from it from Hibernate and/or Sleep? Etc.

If you can give me any details and it's pretty extensive, please do! Thanks!
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Away Mode does the following when invoked:

·    Shuts down the video signal at the port

·    Mutes all system audio

·    Blocks HID and PS/2 input devices (so your cat does not walk across the “delete” key and delete your library)

·    Puts the CPU into “adaptive” mode, which may save power depending on what’s running

·    Notifies kernel-mode and user-mode components of the transition (enables HW like video cards to clock-down or front-panel displays to change content, enables SW to do “smart” things like IM going to “away”)

·    Notifies the BIOS through an ACPI control method of the transition (enables the power LED to change from green to whatever, enables a different thermal profile to be put in place if the OEM decides)

·    Wakes back up when flash devices (USB FOB, flash card) are inserted

·    Wakes back up when an optical disc is inserted in the drive

The intention here is to provide a “user not present” state to the machine so you can walk away, know that your recording is going to happen (or not be interrupted) while not badgering the user with a screen, audio, etc. It is *not* intended to be a power management state. Today, this is the only way to ensure that your media center extender will always work w/o having to worry if your MCE host is turned on or not. Also is great in that the system does not have to wake from S3 to record – and become noisy in the process.

For assistance with issues related to Windows feel free to post on Microsoft Community Forums and we will be glad to help.

38 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 30, 2020 Views 16,948 Applies to: