Shortcut for opening a program in new window in the start screen?

I'm finding it rather annoying that windows 8 refuses to open a new instance of a desktop application when I click it again in the start screen.   If I want multiple "command prompts" for example, I have to go to start, right click command prompt, click on open in new window.   This is quite inconvenient.   I can't see that there is an option to remove this restriction.  It may make sense for the Metro style apps to open only 1 instance, but it doesn't make sense to impose that restriction on desktop apps.

Can anyone give me a registry hack or a control panel option to fix this annoyance in the start screen?

For now, I added the programs as a separate toolbar in the desktop taskbar, so that I can open multiple instances without using the start screen.  For anyone reading, you can do this by right clicking the taskbar, uncheck lock all taskbars, right click again and click on toolbars -> new toolbar and then drag on new program shortcuts.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2019 Views 6,883 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I'm finding it rather annoying that windows 8 refuses to open a new instance of a desktop application when I click it again in the start screen.   If I want multiple "command prompts" for example, I have to go to start, right click command prompt, click on open in new window.   This is quite inconvenient.   I can't see that there is an option to remove this restriction.  It may make sense for the Metro style apps to open only 1 instance, but it doesn't make sense to impose that restriction on desktop apps.

Can anyone give me a registry hack or a control panel option to fix this annoyance in the start screen?

For now, I added the programs as a separate toolbar in the desktop taskbar, so that I can open multiple instances without using the start screen.  For anyone reading, you can do this by right clicking the taskbar, uncheck lock all taskbars, right click again and click on toolbars -> new toolbar and then drag on new program shortcuts.

Hi

When you open a Desktop app, an icon for that app will appear on the desktop Taskbar.

Right click the icon and select the apps name, near the bottom and this will open a new instance of the app.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.