On-Screen keyboard icon no longer pops up when touch text box

original title: On-Screen keyboard help.

Hello,

I am a Windows 7 Power user. I recently upgraded my Acer Iconia Tab w500 from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 Pro. The product works great however previously in Windows 7 whenever in desktop or anywhere that requires a text input, when I click on the text box, a keyboard icon will popup and this will allow me to click it to launch the on screen keyboard, However after the upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, this icon does not appear anymore and I cannot find the settings anywhere to request it to launch OSK on text box. I can however, manually launch it from the taskbar. Please advise.

* OSK auto launches when in metro mode. (e.g.) swipe in from left and click Search. When the text box appears and I click it, OSK launches automatically.

I am unsure if this is a bug in Windows 8 Pro. However I have verified by doing a clean install on Windows 8 too and it has the same issue.

My tablet has 4 points of input.

EDIT: The specific or equivalent program I am talking about is:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-writing-pad-and-touch-keyboard-in-Tablet-PC-Input-Panel

Tablet PC Input Panel

Thanks, Nic

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Nic,

Thank you for posting the question in Microsoft Community!

As I understand, you are facing issues with the On-screen Keyboard. I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix the issue and guide you in the right direction.

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps:

a.     Right click on Taskbar.

b.    Move the mouse over Toolbars.

c.     Check the option Touch Keyboard.

d.    Check if it helps.

If you are still facing the issue, please reply and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

Rohit S

24 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, Rohit,

Your solution will place the keyboard icon on the taskbar, and admittedly, that's better than nothing.  I think what Nic is talking about is having the keyboard icon "pop up" next to any text input field, URL entry, or text document that you tap, so that it's very near your entry finger, and is easy to tap without having to go down to the taskbar and tap the keyboard icon there.  (Especially burdensome when you have Auto-Hide On for the taskbar!).

Windows 7 had this functionality, and Windows 8 does not.  It would be a GREAT help to those of us who work on the desktop from our tablets.

Of course, the ideal solution would be having the keyboard itself pop up whenever the user taps into a text field ( with the ability to turn this off is so desired).

Thanks,

Bill

42 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Bill,

Yes thats exactly what i mean. I believe you are a tablet user yourself too :)

For the auto keyboard, Metro UI (startscreen) does this and beautifully too. Since Windows 8 is supposedly more towards touchscreen devices.. I should assume that it is more optimized. If the same auto keyboard that appears in Metro UI (an example is : Swipe left from right edge of screen, tap search) we can see that the keyboard automatically pops up and has the option of allowing us to hide the keyboard ( bottom right in the keyboard> find keyboard icon> tap it> tap last keyboard which shows an empty rectangle and an arrow down)

I just think that the Windows 7 feature 'Tablet PC touch input panel - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-the-writing-pad-and-touch-keyboard-in-Tablet-PC-Input-Panel ' should be returned to Windows 7.

Bill do you use flicks ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-are-pen-flicks )? E.g. Flick NE flick NW directions to simplify tasks such as copying, cutting, deleting etc  I also find that missing in Windows 8 and believe it is also a feature that is part of Tablet PC Touch Input Panel.

If someone could find how to install this on Windows 8 UNLESS Microsoft themselves give out a patch that would re-enable auto keyboard in desktop mode that would be great.

Rohit, Windows 8 has already done this for me and I have the keyboard icon on the bottom right of my keyboard in task bar, however as tablet users would know, in Windows 7 as Bill said, when we tap on any area that allows text input, a few pixels away there would be a keyboard icon that pops up and when we tap that, the keyboard would pop up. I do agree tapping this OR the one right below on the right may seem similar, it is actually easier to tap the icon when it is right next to the text box where you tapped. Always going back down to the bottom right to launch the OSK is troublesome and not well thought off. This technology is possible as Windows 7 had this feature despite the keyboard icon not popping up on some occasions where i then had to touch the top left and manually start the 'always on top' keyboard. Metro UI does this too an example would be IE 10 launched from within the start screen. When you tap the URL edit field, the osk automatically appears.

Thanks,

Nic

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

in start (win8): when i open search, the osk does not popup, when I tap settings...show osk: the search dissapears. So I click on search and the keyboard dissapears. Hopeless loop ;)

i have hardware keyboard, but in desktop mode the osk appears correctly whenever i select text field, so generally osk should work as well in start screen, but does not.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

In a way, it's nice to know that others are experiencing this issue too, but most of all, I find it aggravating. The touch features that worked really well in Windows 7, namely the Windows Input Panel and editing flicks, have been removed from Windows 8, which is supposed to be specifically designed for touch. I don't understand this decision and sincerely hope these features will be added back in an upcoming service pack.

I realize that Microsoft is emphasizing the new Metro interface, but the fact is that the desktop is still the predominant domain of productivity. By removing functions that enable tablet users to work fluidly within MS Office applications like Excel and Word, Microsoft is risking losing its major edge over platforms like Android and iOS. Sure, apps are nice and Metro is fun, but when I need to get serious work done, I turn to Windows because it can run the power software I need. Please Microsoft, don't turn Windows into just another toy...

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Nic
Did you find the answer for this keyboard issue?
Frustrating indeed when using a Windows 8 tablet.
However I realized that the keyboard pops-up automatically when you start BING from Apps menu and it hides autimatically after hitting the search button in this engine

Therefore I still don't know really what Microsoft has as plan, but the consistency is missed here.
At least I would prefer to be able to configure the auto hide selectively myself depending on which application I want to use or disable it when using an external physical keyboard.. This would be the best proactive approach

Anyway, guys let me know if you have a workaround

AlanPack

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi AlanPack,

Is BING a Modern UI/Metro UI App? The keyboard should automatically pop up within Modern UI as in it should work flawlessly in apps. However, I still can't get it to work.

I have contacted Microsoft Online Technical Support(OST) however they acknowledged this is actual behaviour of Windows 8 and directed me to manually click the keyboard icon on the bottom right. I know how you feel as myself a Windows 8 user using the OS on an Acer Iconia Tab W500.

There is also a MOD REQUEST on XDA-Developers. I personally have not tried this but judging from the comments I think it could work. Can someone here try it?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1992361&page=2

Apparently it will look for the cursor icon and once this is detected it will automatically start the keyboard application. However im not sure if this will affect the keyboard in other areas such as in Modern UI. Once I am free maybe later I will try and test it out.

But if anyone can manage to get the Windows 7 Touch Input Panel to work, that would be the best where the keyboard icon appears near the text input field. This gives us the option to launch the keyboard or not.

Im just wondering why with an Operating System designed with tablets in mind ( touch based ) this simple working application was not carried forward from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Also not sure if you use this feature [flicks] where we could flick to the right,left,up,down, up-left,up-right,down-left,down-right to do simple tasks such as Copy, Paste, Delete, Redo. This feature is still present in Windows 8 however it now requires you to use a stylus [Wacom im guessing] to use the feature. This is rather stupid on Microsoft's end as it was working perfectly in Windows 7. With this, I feel that although this OS is meant to be more touch-friendly, certain key features have taken a step back.  [As what Joe was saying]

Sourcing the web, by far no one has gotten it to work automatically except maybe with the XDA-Dev link above. I will try and get hold of the required files for the keyboard from a Windows 7 computer and get its dependencies too and try and work my way backwards to get the same Windows 7 feature in Windows 8.

Im glad to see other users are having the same fustrations as me.

If anyone has gotten this to work please let us know.

Thanks,

Nic

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

No, your advice didn't help at all. I don't understand why when I enter a text field I have move my hand to the bottom of the screen to get to the Keyboard. It don't makes any sense at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

The touch features that worked really well in Windows 7, namely the Windows Input Panel and editing flicks, have been removed from Windows 8,

No.   They are there.   Or at least they work with a pen.  I supposedly have them activated but I don't think I am skilled enough with the gestures to make any use of them.   E.g. on the practice pad it always says I am too slow and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it slow enough for it to accept my skill level with it.   YMMV.

However, I am pretty sure that they do not allow those gestures where they would be really useful--in the TIP.   Is that what your comment is about?   There are other pen gestures which should supposedly work (e.g. the Enter one would be nice to try and master I think) but again I do not seem to have the necessary skill level to pull them off consistently enough, so I just don't bother trying.   And again, I highly doubt that they are enabled inside the TIP where they would be most useful, even if I had the skill to perform them consistently enough.   Another thing that I have given up on is fixing recognition errors.  I just enter my "typos" and then switch to a keyboard to correct them.  FWIW I think that I *once* managed to get all of the editing gestures, etc. working inside a Notepad window but never inside the TIP.   IMO it is essential to enable the icons which indicate when an Editing gesture has been recognized but I have noticed experienced users mocking that feature, so again YMMV.

Ref.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-use-gestures-in-Tablet-PC-Input-Panel

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

The touch features that worked really well in Windows 7, namely the Windows Input Panel and editing flicks, have been removed from Windows 8,

No.   They are there.   Or at least they work with a pen.  I supposedly have them activated but I don't think I am skilled enough with the gestures to make any use of them.   E.g. on the practice pad it always says I am too slow and there doesn't seem to be any way to make it slow enough for it to accept my skill level with it.   YMMV.

However, I am pretty sure that they do not allow those gestures where they would be really useful--in the TIP.   Is that what your comment is about?   There are other pen gestures which should supposedly work (e.g. the Enter one would be nice to try and master I think) but again I do not seem to have the necessary skill level to pull them off consistently enough, so I just don't bother trying.   And again, I highly doubt that they are enabled inside the TIP where they would be most useful, even if I had the skill to perform them consistently enough.   Another thing that I have given up on is fixing recognition errors.  I just enter my "typos" and then switch to a keyboard to correct them.  FWIW I think that I *once* managed to get all of the editing gestures, etc. working inside a Notepad window but never inside the TIP.   IMO it is essential to enable the icons which indicate when an Editing gesture has been recognized but I have noticed experienced users mocking that feature, so again YMMV.

Ref.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/How-do-I-use-gestures-in-Tablet-PC-Input-Panel

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Robert, you are right, they are technically still there. However, they are much more limited in Windows 8 than they were in Windows 7. For example, editing flicks work with a stylus, but no longer with your finger, and even then, they only work within certain applications. I used to be able to copy text from Internet Explorer by swiping diagonally from lower left to upper right and then paste into Word or Excel by swiping the opposite direction. I have tried and tried in Windows 8 IE (both Metro and Desktop), but cannot for the life of me copy anything from a webpage without holding down until the Copy/Paste dialogue pops up. It works, but it adds a few seconds to a procedure that used to be seamless, and those seconds add up after repeated operations.

As for the TIP, I do like the new white on black look, but it bugs me that I can't resize it anymore. Sometimes I only want a single line so I can still see my spreadsheet, and other times I would like more lines so I can complete a full thought before hitting "Insert". The Windows 7 TIP would start with a single line and automatically expand as you continued to write. It also knew the difference between your finger and a stylus, so it came up in either keyboard or handwriting mode automatically, which was very handy. Windows 8 introduced a couple more keyboard layout options, but I find myself using the previous one more often than not. And last but not least, to reiterate the original point, the TIP doesn't pop up automatically anymore unless you are using a Metro UI app, which sucks. Again, it adds a few more seconds to each operation when you have to click the taskbar icon whenever you need to open the TIP. It should at least be an option you can enable to have the TIP icon pop up next to the cell you're editing in Excel or the line you're working on in Word. Afterall, if you wanted an OS that lacked the ability to tweak and customize your interface, you would have just bought a Mac and just let it dictate your workflow.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 20, 2021 Views 51,445 Applies to: