Multi-monitor / Multi-User Taskbar Bug in Windows 8

Since upgrading to Windows 8, one bug has been driving me crazy.  I am running multiple users on my PC.  On the taskbar, my clock and notifications are displayed on my primary monitor.  I would like them on the secondary monitor.  I can unlock the taskbar and drag it over to the other display to accomplish this, however, every time I switch between users, it resets back to the default position (on the primary monitor).  If I switch to only displaying the taskbar on one display (by not checking "Show taskbar on all displays"), essentially the same thing happens, except it's the entire taskbar that goes back to the primary monitor.  

The reason this is especially frustrating is that I want the clock to be displayed at all times, but it gets hidden under the metro interface when on my primary monitor.  Ideally I would like Windows to remember when I move my taskbar, but another nice to have feature would be to display the notifications and clock on all taskbars.

If there is something I'm just not doing correctly, please let me know, but this feels like a bug.  Thanks!

The situation you describe has been discussed in previous posts, unfortunately is not a 'bug', it is the way MS have set it up and at this stage there is no work around.

It has been a point raised thru all version of W8 (RP, CP, RTM).

Hopefully MS will release a fix.

A computer is a device, that requires human input to operate efficiently.
Alas we humans do fail!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

There's no logical excuse for this being considered a "feature".  

A user setting that resets when you switch users, but not when you reboot the PC?  It makes no sense.  This could really only be considered a bug.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It makes no sense.

When you switch what is the state of your Second Screen?   In my case I have never checked if it changes in this scenario but judging by what is shown on the second monitor I suppose it probably switches from Extend to PC Screen only.   I'm not bothered by the symptom that you are observing because my Taskbar is always only on my Tablet, my primary screen.   The only quirk that I have as a result of this scenario is that if I switch with an IE Fullscreen window open on the second monitor I always find it on the Tablet but then it is a simple enough matter to just press F11 twice and bizarrely it moves back to the original monitor again in Fullscreen mode.    I suppose I could test my idea right now by using Win-P as hypothesized...   Exactly as predicted.   YMMV.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Just playing around doing some testing and find the following:

- move taskbar to secondary monitor

- log off USER1

- move taskbar to secondary monitor

- log off USER2

- switch users; log in USER 2.  [TASKBAR IS ON SECONDARY MONITOR AS EXPECTED]

- switch users to USER1.  [TASKBAR IS ON PRIMARY MONITOR - bug]

- switch users to USER2.  [TASKBAR IS ON PRIMARY MONITOR - bug]

It seems to be switching from one active user to another active user that resets the taskbar location.  This is a fairly easily reproduced issue, and seems like a genuine problem. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 19, 2020 Views 937 Applies to: