mouse vs touch, why the difference?

I just started Windows 8 usage and I was very excited to do so after attending the MS developer show about a month ago. 

I found a spot for suggestions but it was full so here I am.

I love what I saw at the conference and this is the first time I have been able to play with Win8 with a  mouse and must say I am surprised there is such a difference from the touch devices.

First of all it a metro menu moves with more info it goes to the right.  if I had a touch screen I would touch the right and drag it left and yet with a mouse I cannot do that.  Why not?  Why am I forced to click and old-fashioned bottom bar that is aligned left and have to drag to the right?  It is not nearly as intuitive as it is with touch.  So even with a mouse I see there is more to the right and I WANT to drag the screen left, that was your intent yes?  And so it should be with the mouse.

When I am in an app and want to see the bottom options menu for the whole program why cannot I just move the mouse to the bottom to see it?  Why must I right click every time?  If I move the mouse to the bottom can't I see the bottom menu for the program?  I get that certain parts of the screen have alternate options and need the right click but that does not mean I need to restrict the normal options bar.

Why can't I change the right "charms" bar to the left?  I have a dual monitor and having the bar in the middle of two screens is really aggravating.  I appreciate the "catches" in place in the corners to activate the bar but then I can't just move to the middle of the side to have my mouse positioned as I would like it to be.

I metro, why does my mouse "back button" not take me back?  It works in Win7 and the internet in the new IE, so why must I scroll to and click the back arrow in a metro side bar?

Finally, swiping touch motions.  if I can touch the screen and move my finger in a pattern and release to do something then why can't the mouse do it?  I could click the screen, hold the button and make a motion too, then release the button.   Simple.  Why is this not supported?

I keep reading answers that you need to memorize the keyboard shortcuts.  Some days I like to be lazy and my mouse is in hand and the keyboard takes too much effort.  The power is there to use a mouse for most options, so why is it not?

What works for touch works for mouse... this is the line you fed me at the MS convention, you are correct and yet you failed to do this.  Why?

I develop for android and I will soon be developing for Win8, the Android emulator let's the mouse emulate a touch event.  Mouse click = "action_down"  mouse release = "action_up" This could not be simpler.

I love your new product but did anyone test the mouse use to see if it was intuitive?  On Win8, touch works, mouse fails.  Make the mouse equal to the touch, It is an easy fix, so please do so.

Thank you.

Hi,

The Microsoft Community is a peer review technical support site for Windows and
some other Microsoft products and was not involved in the Windows 8 development.

Use these resources to provide feedback :

Windows Feedback Program
http://wfp.microsoft.com/

Microsoft Connect
https://connect.microsoft.com/

Providing Feedback to Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/execmail/feedback.mspx

=====================

Maybe the developers at MSDN can address some of your questions.

MSDN - Windows Apps
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsapps

MSDN - Forums
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/categories/

MSDN - Where is the Forum For…?
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whatforum/threads

Hope this helps.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP <- profile - Windows Expert - Consumer : Bicycle <- Mark Twain said it right!

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider MVP 2016 - current
Windows and Devices for IT 2009 - 2020

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Why am I forced to click and old-fashioned bottom bar that is aligned left and have to drag to the right? 

Depending on your mouse capabilities and depending on the app or context, you can do other things than that.   E.g. if your mouse has Middleclick,  pressing and holding that can enable an AutoScroll (same as on Desktop) and if your mouse has a "tilt wheel"  using that can enable horizontal scrolling (same as on Desktop).

---

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks, I appreciate that, I didn't think to scroll actually, I was fixated on dragging the screen with my mouse cursor acting as a finger.... 

Sorry this didn't help.

The windows feedback is closed, that is what I tried first, the MS Connect does not accept feedback for win8 I tried that too.
The third option you mentioned, the feedback form seems like it might still work... let us give it a shot.  Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

Never mind, the feedback is just for the actual help site.  Is no one listening to serious suggestions for improving the UI?  Come on MS, I am not telling you to change it back, the changes can be very good, I am just telling you how to fix it to work like it should.  Don't you want the UI to be intuitive to everyone?  Isn't this the point?  Usable on all platforms with various inputs.....

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 1,058 Applies to: