monitor fonts windows 8 fuzzy and no longer crisp

I have an Acer One D250 Netbook and a LG Latron W2246S Monitor, they both worked all ok with Windows 7 Starter and Home Premium. Since upgrading to Windows 8 the fonts are fuzzy and no longer crisp. I have reset the monitor to defaults and ran Clear Text, and it is still the same, I have also uninstalled the drivers for the monitor and the display driver and updated the drivers to the latest using Microsoft drivers for the chipset and the manufactures for the Monitor and it is still the same. Please could anyone suggest anything - other than this issue I am loving windows 8 - even though it is on an Netbook it is really fast and really improved the feel of the Netbook.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2019 Views 7,052 Applies to:

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Communities. From your problem description I understand that you are facing an issue on display screen. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

I understand how frustrating it could be when things do not work as expected. Please do not worry I will try my best to resolve it.

Please go ahead and follow the methods mentioned below and later update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1:

a. Press Windows Key +w, type troubleshooting in the search bar, and press enter.

b. Click on system and security and select the power troubleshooter.
c. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: Get the best display on your monitor: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/get-best-display-monitor

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

A lot of people are having the same problem.

The font rendering in Windows 8 was changed. Unbelievably, parts of Win 8 like IE10 don't even adhere to the Win 8 font rendering schema, hence the blurry fonts.

There a numerous threads about it.

So far, the suggestions offered by Microsoft are so have been infantile.

Microsoft need acknowledge there is serious problem and get to work and fix it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Also thank you for the feedback which you have provided for Windows 8, these inputs are considered as high priority.

Before upgrading to Windows 8, we recommend that you run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant. It scans your current PC to see if it is ready for Windows 8 and then provides a compatibility report and optional steps for you to buy, download, and install Windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

I would suggest you to un-install and re-install graphics card driver from the manufacturer’s website on your computer in Windows 8 by choosing the compatibility level as Windows 7:

a.     Run the Program Compatibility Wizard, by pressing Windows key + W and then type Control Panel,

b.     Click Programs, and then clicking Use an older program with this version of Windows.

c.      Follow the instructions in the wizard.

In Windows 8 Consumer preview drivers are not available on the website however, may try to download Windows 7 drivers from the website and then install them.

Hope this information is helpful.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a brand new laptop preinstalled with Windows 8 and IE 10. On top of the infantilising torture of Windows 8 design, the blurry font 'feature' heaps insult over injury. It is so bad it beggars belief. After 20 years with Internet Explorer, I have finally switched permanently to other browsers (unfortunately I am stuck with windows 8). Life is too short for subjecting your brain to the strains of technological 'progress' gone mad.

Sorry this didn't help.

In order to attract Microsoft's attention, I've made a new post containing links to all previously posted threads about the same matter (blurriness - fuzziness  - bad font rendering in Windows 8).

If you would like to help, please click "Me too" for having the same problem on my post and/or other users' posts I've gathered all in one place. I have already clicked "Me too" on all posts that refer to the same matter.

Here is the link to my post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/poor-font-rendering-in-windows-8-blurry-text/f52a2002-d748-485c-8b9c-4862806ea94a?page=1

Thanks,

John

Sorry this didn't help.

I am like 1 of the earlier replies but mine is a tower with windows 8 preinstalled, this is doing my head in,

looking at all this is sending my eyes funny but not in a good way. can micro soft fix this problem before I need glasses or do I just send them the bill.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am like 1 of the earlier replies but mine is a tower with windows 8 preinstalled, this is doing my head in,

looking at all this is sending my eyes funny but not in a good way. can micro soft fix this problem before I need glasses or do I just send them the bill.

Its is ironic, but perhaps the threat of legal action for eye-sight damage might be the only thing that wakes Microsoft up from its corporate stupor.

Sorry this didn't help.

I take exception to the tone of this reply.  You imply that it is the customers' fault (by not following the instructions to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant) that we are having problems with blurred fonts.  Well, I beg to differ.  I, too, like several others, use a brand new laptop that is PREINSTALLED with Windows 8 and IE 10.  Therefore, the problem IS NOT of the customers making. 

I have called the "Support" center [note the word support is in quotes, because of its misnomer].  I was told I would have to pay $99 for them just to look at my computer through remote access.  They suggested the problem lay with the manufacturer and the sent me a link to Toshiba support.   Upon clicking on the link at the Toshiba support site, I ended up ...... back at WINDOWS 8 SUPPORT.   No one wants to take responsibility for Windows 8 problems.  You try to pass it off on the customer, the manufacturer, - or how about the shipper that delivered the unit? - or the brick and mortar store where we purchased the computer or the Windows 8 program - or the online vendor that sold it to us? 

Microsoft wrote the code for the program, Microsoft designed this mess, Microsoft has marketed this fiasco as the best think since electricity (but did a very poor job of providing online tutorials, manuals, etc until just lately), so .... Microsoft needs to provide the support to us for the fix - at no cost to the customer.

Sorry this didn't help.

Found a way to give feedback on the rendering technique change.

Go to this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1076

At the base of the feedback survey there is a section where we can tell them about the issue.

This will likely be our best bet of getting the text rendering improved, or maybe even ClearType support for the new products.

Thanks to @WindowsSupport for providing the link.

If we can get enough people sending feedback on the issue, we may just get this fixed.

I'll post this on a few other posts, I will miss heaps so if your up to it, post it wherever you think it'll help.

Jordan

Sorry this didn't help.