Language switching hotkey setting not honoured at login screen

Windows 8 allows to change key sequence used to switch the input language either to Ctrl-Shift, Left Alt-Shift or Grave Accent. When I change this hotkey to Ctrl-Shift, this setting is NOT honoured at login screen while entering password (you must use Left Alt-Shift for switching). Why?
Answer
Answer

Hi Severin,

What is the make and model of the computer?

You can set the key combination for switching between languages or keyboard layouts in the Advanced Key Setting dialog box. To open the Advanced Key Setting dialog box, right-click the Language bar, and then click Settings. Under Preferences, click Key Settings.

Note: Switch between languages or keyboard layouts we can use CTRL+SHIFT or left ALT+SHIFT

I would recommend you to install the keyboard hotkeys drivers\update from the manufactures’ website.

Keyboard shortcuts - On Windows 8

Hope it helps.

That does not help at all, and it has nothing to do with the model of the computer. I have the same problem here (Lenovo W510 laptop + Windows 8.1 if you really need to know). The key combination set using the Advanced Key Setting dialogue will not work on the login screen, instead it will default to Alt-Shift or Windows-Space.

I've just found the solution, and what a twisted solution that is!

You have to go to Control Panel => Languages => Advanced Settings, find the link in the middle of the dialogue page "Apply language settings to the welcome screen...", click it, then click "Copy settings", set the flag "Welcome screen and system accounts", and click "OK".

Thanks for making this so insanely complicated! Screenshots below:

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 9, 2024 Views 489 Applies to: