Is Win XP Mode available in Windows 8?

I'm running WinXP Prof SP3 and want to puchase a new PC.

I need to run Win XP Mode for certain of my software that will probably not work in Win 7 or 8.

Is Win XP Mode available in Windows 8 or do I write Win 8 off as "useless" for my needs and rather source a copy of Windows 7  Prof 64 Bit?

Please I need professional confirmation, not guesses as to "it might"/ possibly/I think it should still work in Win 8 etc.

Many thanks.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The answer to your question is yes.  You will need to Windows 8 pro and enable Hyper-V.  Here is link to assiest with this technology.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh857623.aspx

You create the virtual server.  You will need a copy of XP and a good product key for activation.  It will act as though it was a real computer.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

XP Mode is not available for Windows 8.

Hyper-V replaces Windows Virtual PC.

You can run XP in Hyper-V, or use third-party virtualisation software such as VirtualBox or VMWare Player. You need an installable copy of XP to do that: your current XP could be re-installed in any of them.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

You can run XP in Hyper-V, or use third-party virtualisation software such as VirtualBox or VMWare Player. You need an installable copy of XP to do that: your current XP could be re-installed in any of them.

I don't have copy of either XP or Vista, how do I install XP and I am nervous because it may FORCE MYSELF to downgrade to Windows 7 so I can run my home business using XP-Based software. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't have copy of either XP or Vista, how do I install XP and I am nervous because it may FORCE MYSELF to downgrade to Windows 7 so I can run my home business using XP-Based software. 

This software you want to run under Windows XP Mode...  Are you sure it will not run under Windows 8 or Windows 7 in just "Compatibility Mode"?  What is this software (specific manufacturer, software name and version number, please)?

If you are being 'forced' to downgroade - it is by the software or hardware manufacturer of the software you think (at this time) you MUST run under Windows XP.
.-
Shenan Stanley
MVP 2005-2011 & 2013-2015
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, thank you for prompt reply. It is actually AutoDesk AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Yes, I have consulted the software manufacturer and they told me that they had 32-bit to 64-bit PATCH for AutoCAD 2009 meaning I missed that, question for me was... did I made mistake not upgrading to 2009 version? I think so but I could not foresee that decision from 2005 when I had decided to subscribe to just two upgrades instead of three.

Therefore, the software manufacturer are not doing anything. Only way to get full function is to upgrade the software to 2013 version and cost of upgrade is in thousands of dollars. That is why I say I could be forced myself to downgrade to Windows 7.

I am also frustrated that the Windows 8 seem NOT ABLE TO RUN AutoCAD 2008 in Compatibility Mode because it was a 32-bit software.  Does that help, Shenan?

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay, thank you for prompt reply. It is actually AutoDesk AutoCAD Architecture 2008. Yes, I have consulted the software manufacturer and they told me that they had 32-bit to 64-bit PATCH for AutoCAD 2009 meaning I missed that, question for me was... did I made mistake not upgrading to 2009 version? I think so but I could not foresee that decision from 2005 when I had decided to subscribe to just two upgrades instead of three.

Therefore, the software manufacturer are not doing anything. Only way to get full function is to upgrade the software to 2013 version and cost of upgrade is in thousands of dollars. That is why I say I could be forced myself to downgrade to Windows 7.

I am also frustrated that the Windows 8 seem NOT ABLE TO RUN AutoCAD 2008 in Compatibility Mode because it was a 32-bit software.  Does that help, Shenan?

Since you seem to be centered around it: Most 32-bit software works in 64-bit operating systems without issue or any compatibility modes.  You will not get the benefit of running a 64-bit operating system, but... it would likely function.

In other words: compatibility mode has nothing to do with 32-bit/64-bit architecture - but with the edition of OS as a whole (Windows 95/98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, etc.)

So you have Windows 8 Standard, RT or Professional?

I would suspect  AutoDesk AutoCAD Architecture 2008 would run fine in under Windows 7 without any comatibility mode. People have stated so in AutoDesk Forums:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2008/Windows-7-Home-used-with-AutoCAD-Architecture-2008/td-p/2579022
Even in AutoDesk doesn't support it doesn't mean it doesn't work.
This might help:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Architecture/Updated-Workaround-instructions-for-64-Bit-OS-Install/td-p/1941946
.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I do have Windows 8 PROFESSIONAL. You are right about Architecture 2006 and 2007 running under Windows 7 without compatibility mode, but NOT ARCHITECTURE 2008 in my machine, SIGH. That is why I had ran successfully on Virtual Windows XP Mode within Windows 7.  Which is why I am considering DOWNGRADE from Windows 8 to Windows 7 just to have functioning machine for home based drafting service!!!

Bigger question is... how can I get copy of a disc of Windows XP so I can install the OS within Hyper V?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I do have Windows 8 PROFESSIONAL. You are right about Architecture 2006 and 2007 running under Windows 7 without compatibility mode, but NOT ARCHITECTURE 2008 in my machine, SIGH. That is why I had ran successfully on Virtual Windows XP Mode within Windows 7.  Which is why I am considering DOWNGRADE from Windows 8 to Windows 7 just to have functioning machine for home based drafting service!!!

Bigger question is... how can I get copy of a disc of Windows XP so I can install the OS within Hyper V?
Bigger Question: Do you have a license for Windows XP?
http://www.pricewatch.com/gallery/software_oper_system/windows_xp_professional

.-
Shenan Stanley
Insider MVP 2016-
.-

Sorry this didn't help.

I will check the link, thank you for the link. One of them is a Recovery CD for Dell Computer, will that work in Hyper V using that Recovery CD??? 

This laptop is a ASUS computer. 

Sorry this didn't help.

All things considered, the simplest, sanest, legal way to use programmes that require XP 32 bit is to install Windows 7 Professional and use XP mode. While it is possible to install Windows 8 and use a virtual machine with XP installed in that, finding a good source for XP files and a valid, legal product number is problematic. XP was withdrawn from sale by Microsoft mid 2008. Copies remained in supply channels for some time after that but it is very difficult to find it now. I looked on-line using the usual search tools for about 40 minutes earlier today without finding a good source. I did locate one listing of XP OEM Dell (it will install on any PC. Drivers and activation might be issues) from a possibly OK source; however, since I have no experience with them, don't know of them at all, actually, I cannot suggest them let alone recommend. Moving on.... Nonetheless, if you can locate a friend or enemy with a XP DVD, and have a serial/product number or can use downgrade rights from a version you have a product/serial number, a virtual machine on Win 8 might be a go... or Windows 8 Pro with Hyper V.

Tom Ferguson

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2020 Views 6,811 Applies to: