I have more than 5 windows 8 devices associated with my microsoft account?

What do you do when you have more than 5 windows 8 devices associated with one Microsoft account (a couple of tablets and several computers in the house)?  I'm being asked to delete one device to use the windows store.  Should I create a second Microsoft account?  If so how do associate a previously registered windows 8 device with the new account.

G

Question Info

Last updated August 9, 2019 Views 13,155 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

From your description, it seems that you have more than 5 computers associated with Microsoft account and Windows told to delete once device to access Windows Store as it is connected to more than 5 devices and you want to know how to associate a previously registered Windows 8 computer with the new Microsoft account.

I will be glad to assist you. This issue could be caused because you can buy and download apps from the Windows Store, and use them on up to five PCs running Windows 8 or Windows RT.

I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and update us on the status of the issue.

You can refer the below article which says that “You can buy and download apps from the Windows Store, and use them on up to five PCs running Windows 8 or Windows RT” in the below link.

Your Microsoft account syncs favorites and settings on all your PCs:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/microsoft-account#1TC=t1

I would suggest you to keep the existing Microsoft account for 5 computers and the rest of the computers need a new Microsoft account  .

You can also remove the PC’s which you do not want to use for Windows Store by following the below steps.

a. Click “Start”, type “Store” and click on “Store”.

b. Press “Windows + C” keys and click on “Settings”.

c. Click on “Your account”, In “Your PCs”, you can remove the PC that you do not use or want and add a different PC to it.

To create a new Microsoft account, follow the steps in the section “To create a Microsoft account” by following the below link.

Create a user account:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/create-user-account

For any Windows related issues please feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is there a way to set up a store account that is not limited to 5 machines when your ONLY using free apps? I understand the need to limit the number of machines per store account (due to paid apps being used) but what if I never plan on using paid apps?

I have a standardized Windows 8 build designed and configured  for public spaces but one of the most time consuming parts of each deployment is creating the new store account, documenting if for our internal records, and finally locating and downloading each of the required (free) apps from the store. I ONLY deploy free apps and have no intention of ever using paid apps. I'd like to be able to create a master/control account (several actually) to deploy all of my predefined apps but I'm limited to 5 machines per store count.

These are non-domain connected workstations running Windows 8 Pro.

Is there any work around to allow unlimited (or a large number of) workstations for a single Microsoft Store account that strictly use free applications?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am in a similiar situation.  I have only free apps, and have run into issues simply updating the built-in apps, due to having too many computers connected to my account.  It might seem like 5 is a lot, but I have my desktop, my old laptop, my Surface, my kids' laptops (3), my wife's Surface, and our Surface RT.  I'm the admin, I'd like to be able to use my account across all of the devices, syncing settings, etc, and have the apps updated to the latest version.

I have no issues with limiting the number of devices paid apps can be installed on, but I can't even update the built-in apps - Mail, Maps, News... Most of these devices are domain-joined too, so I'm logging in with my domain account.  I can't update the apps without a Microsoft account, so this creates a bit of an issue.  Why is there a limit on the number of devices I can use my account on? 

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually spoke with a Microsoft support engineer last week and he told me (THERE IS A WAY) to remove the MS Store's 5 device limitation but... Because I did not have my partner number handy or a credit card to pay for the support call/ticket, he could not help me out. The good news is... He completely understood what I was asking for and said they had done this for others who requested the same thing. The bad news is, it's going to require me to get the credit card out to pay for the support call.

Sadly, I was transferred no less than 7 times today when trying to re-connect with the support team I called last week and now it turns out I have submit this request online. I know Microsoft is a huge company, but getting support for something like this just should not be this hard.

In preparation, I created several store accounts that I wish to have this limitation removed for. I am planning on getting that support ticket started this afternoon and will share the results!

Wish me luck!

Sorry this didn't help.

Between my calls this morning and again this afternoon, I have now been transferred and spoken with 14 different people in the various support departments of Microsoft. Several techs I spoke with have said the device limitation can be removed for a store account but so far all I have been able to do is get transferred to some other mysterious support team who also can't help (but knows who can). After speaking with these 14 different people, I finally got a support ticket opened (paid for) so hopefully some good news is on the way!

I firmly believe Microsoft has some of the best software in the world and I have submitted several support tickets in the past but I have never dealt with so much bureaucratic nonsense on a single support call in my life. From any company for that matter.

Your better than this MICROSOFT! Give your software and "paying customers" the support we deserve.

Sorry this didn't help.

did you get this addressed? I have 6 dev devices  -- 4 are from BUILD events - 1 Samsung, 1 winrt, 1 acer, 1 surface pro -- and work devices (a surface pro and a dell laptop)

With dev machines, virtual machines, etc. 5 is not going to cut it...

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here with lots of dev devices.  I thought at BUILD 2013 they said they were doing away with the 5 device limit.  Yet I still see this limit with my Win 8.1 Preview machines.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just want to ask how stupid you Microsoft guys are? Seriously!? You punish us for buying more then 5 devices? Isn't that the same, in the corporate world, as shooting yourselves in the foot?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe you should have done some research. It was increased to 81 devices a long time ago.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-ups-app-roaming-limits-for-windows-8-to-81-devices/

Sorry this didn't help.

I have multiple instances of the same windows 10 device  under Devices on my Microsoft Account Page with the same name and serial number. Which ones do I get rid of? the only difference is the Windows rev...earliest is 10.0.10240.16143, latest is 10.0.10240.16487. I have the same issue, that the store will not allow downloads...

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.