I am new to windows 8 and can't find list of Programs

My old computer died and I have purchased a Samsung Laptop with Windows 8. I can't find a listing of programs like I use to have with Windows Vista which I could access on lower left of screen. In fact how do I access all of the information that could be located at this location? So far the only location I have been able to even find a listing of program is in control panel and all you can do there is uninstall/change. I sure would appreciate some help. Windows 8 leaves a lot to be desired. 
Answer
Answer

Hi,

You can find them in two locations...

One for logged in User...

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Another for others...

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

You can make a shortcut to them on your desktop.

The Win 7 type Start Menu sometimes combined files from both in it's All Programs list.

Also, StarDock has an app called Start 8 for $5 that restores the Win 7 style start start button and features. It will also bypass the start screen and go directly to the desktop should you so choose.

Classic Shell is another, plus a search will turn up more... I like Start 8.

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hello AllanAshton,

Go to the Start Screen. This screen automatically displays when you first boot your PC. If you are on the Desktop then press the Windows key on your keyboard to go to the Start screen.

On the Start Screen right click on a vacant part - anywhere between the icons for example. A taskbar will now appear at the bottom of the Start screen window. Look to the right and you will see an 'All Apps' icon. Click on this to see all the apps on your PC.

An alternative way is to simply start typing the name of an app anywhere on the Start screen. If the app is on your PC then it will be displayed on the left of the screen. Click on the app to open it.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

John Barnett MVP: Windows XP Associate Expert: Windows Expert - Consumer:  www.winuser.co.uk |  vistasupport.mvps.org | xphelpandsupport.mvps.org | www.silversurfer-guide.com

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2020 Views 24,763 Applies to: