how do I access a startup menu with windows 8

I just purchased this computer with windows 8.  I cannot find any way to pull up a start menu to access my documents or windows programs.

Question Info

Last updated December 10, 2019 Views 6,262 Applies to:
It doesnt have a start button or menu. You have to install a 3rd part program like classic shell, if you want one

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I cannot find any way to pull up a start menu to access my documents or windows programs.

If you use a keyboard, exactly the same way that you would in W7--using either a Win- key or Ctrl-Esc.   If you have a Touch monitor you can in addition find some hidden things on the sides and bottom by "swiping" inward.  IMO better to learn the keyboard shortcuts for those too than deal with the problems that "swiping" can cause.   So, for a Start Screen button on the right you can press Win-C (and then Enter to use it, since the Start Screen button happens to have keyboard focus then).   For one on the left, provided you have some "apps" running, you can press Win-Tab.   There's also one at the bottom left which only appears to be available by hovering your mouse pointer down there.   Trying to use my pen to dig stuff out of the sides or corners is even more problematic for me unfortunately.   So then I resort to either the On-Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) or the Touch Keyboard to perform the necessary "keystrokes".   I find it essential to have Taskbar buttons for both the OSK and the TK for this and other reasons (which I think would become apparent to you if you were ever without both your keyboard and your mouse.  <eg>)

As for accessing your documents I don't think you can do that using the Start Screen.   E.g. there is no mention of "documents" in this help page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/adding-apps-websites-to-start

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/how-do-i-pin-online-office-document-to-start/0307a6db-8768-4b56-9e86-4087540dd697

FWIW I think a better approach may be to pin your program to your Taskbar and then use its "jump list" there.   Note though that you can supposedly pin a "folder" in the Start Screen,  so that might be closer to what you are thinking of in terms of using the old "Start Menu" paradigm.   But I don't think you will be able to get a jump list in the Start Screen using the pinned app (as you could in the W7 Start Menu, for example).

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello. This tutorial on youtube will show you how to get start menu in windows 8. The video including a download link in desc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN3GGFMmHR4&feature=plcp

Sorry this didn't help.

This start menu is exact same as windows 7 start menu :)

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, that's something I wanted too.

Sorry this didn't help.

How can I access a program on this computer that will allow be to type up documents.

Sorry this didn't help.

Search for Wordpad.exe   Looks like just pressing Win- and then typing Wo  is sufficient to find it.  YMMV.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.