Freedom Fighters Issue on Windows 8 - File Redirection Process

The issue I am having is that when I try to run it, I receive an error that says "Fatal error-No Render is selected. Please select one." After looking around, the consensus was that this issue arises from the file eax.dll is missing from the system32 folder. I tried to move the file there manually but, after successfully copying, the file would not show up, even with hidden files being shown. After more research, I found that there is a process where, when copying files to system32, Windows 8 will redirect files that it believes it should, and automatically places them in the SysWOW64 folder instead. Thus, I believe that my issue is stemming from Freedom Fighters, being an older game, does not have the ability to take this into account and only looks for files in system32.

Is there a way to temporarily disable the file redirection on Windows 8 so that I can manually place the eax.dll in system32 without it being moved? Or perhaps add an exception so I can place that single file there? Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated November 8, 2019 Views 4,421 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Gavin,

Method 1:

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Method 2: Install the game in Windows 7 compatibility mode:

a) Download the Game
b) Right-click on the setup files and click on ‘properties’.
c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.
d) Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Please post back if you are experiencing any issue with Windows. I will be glad to provide you with additional options.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.