Disable creation of desktop.ini files in Windows 8

Hi all,

I want to know if it is some way to disable creation of desktop.ini files, at least in the desktop system folder.

I knew that in XP there was a DWORD key that should be created to avoid creating all desktop.ini files in the computer.

I don't want the desktop.ini folder features (icon personalization, remembering the last view options in each folder, etc)

So I don't want to hide the desktop.ini files. I want to remove them and avoid Windows 8 creating again and again.

If Microsoft disabled this personalization that was present in older version of Windows and now is not available (to disable creation of desktop.ini files) just say it. If there is some other registry key to be created or modified, please advise.

Thank you

Pablo.

Answer
Answer

Hi Pablo,

I would like you to inform that Desktop.ini is a system file which deals with common folders such as Downloads, Documents, Pictures, and Music etc. When a change is made in these folders, Desktop.ini is updated.

Removing the file will cause issues with the Operating System and so it is not recommended to remove the files. The desktop.ini file by default has the System, Hidden and Read-only attributes assigned.

If you want to stop these messages, go to Folder Options through Search click settings and you will see Folder Options, click it and the View tab and scroll until you see " Hide protected operation system files (recommended) and put a check in the box.

Hope this answers your query. You can write back to us for further queries/issues related to windows and we will be glad to assist you further.

37 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 22, 2020 Views 83,411 Applies to: