Dell Inspiron 1501 Resolution issues on Windows 8

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 and have recently installed windows 8 pro on it. Before installation I had a maximum resolution of 1280 x 800 when running vista and now my only option of resolution is 1024 x 768. I do a lot of photo editing and such on my laptop and this screen resolution makes this nearly impossible when scaling and resizing pictures. I have tried updating drivers and have even installed the legacy driver for my graphics card as well as trying to run the Catalyst Control Center on compatibility mode and nothing has worked. It says that the adapter string I am currently using is the Microsoft Display Adapter. I was wondering if there is any way to get my resolution back up to 1280 x 800.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150.

Question Info

Last updated March 24, 2018 Views 3,373 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

If you have been able to run the catalyst control center, you should be able to add/set the custom resolution in it.

Hope this information will help you.

For any other windows related issue, reply to us and we will be happy to assist you.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Your machine was last supported for Vista 32-bit. If you want best performance, you will have to return the machine to Vista.

It is not supported for use with Windows 7 or 8..

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.