Can windows 8 be configured to look like windows 7 - with a start button. And convenience. And familiarity. And consistency.

Windows 8 is really annoying.  Can it be reconfigured to look like windows 7 - with a start button?  And convenience.  And familiarity.  And consistency.

I shouldn't need to have to learn how to use a computer all over again.  It is ridiculous.

Will microsoft provide a solution to this ludicrous oversight?

Hi,

There are a number of programs that wiil restore most if not all of the missing stuff...

The two most popular seem to be Classic Shell (free) and Start 8 by Stardock ($5 \ 30 day trial)

I think Start 8 is great, but haven't tried Classis Shell...My understanding is that Start 8 restores more features, but I really don't know for sure...

Microsoft really does need to correct this...refusing to do so will place them in a much worse light then they already are....inexcuseable stubborness in my humble opinion...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

There are a number of programs that wiil restore most if not all of the missing stuff...

The two most popular seem to be Classic Shell (free) and Start 8 by Stardock ($5 \ 30 day trial)

I think Start 8 is great, but haven't tried Classis Shell...My understanding is that Start 8 restores more features, but I really don't know for sure...

Microsoft really does need to correct this...refusing to do so will place them in a much worse light then they already are....inexcuseable stubborness in my humble opinion...

For some strange reason Classic Shell won't put Music/My Music on the start menu. Other than that it felt like home. Three basic menu styles and some skin and other options. Switching back and forth between menus and the Metro GUI is dead simple too, if desired.

There are many other start button software options out there to try. Not all of them replace the Windows shell. Some just ride on top of Win8 like an App, hiding Metro and providing a start button with menus etc.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 12:29:47 +0000, clevertrousers wrote:

Windows 8 is really annoying.  Can it be reconfigured to look like windows 7 - with a start button?  And convenience.  And familiarity.  And consistency.

Let me point out something that you perhaps don't realize: Windows 8
has two interfaces; the Modern/Metro Interface (which may be all
you've looked at) and the traditional Desktop Interface.
That traditional  Desktop Interface is almost identical to Windows 7's
interface; the biggest difference is that there is no Start Orb to
click to bring up the Start menu. But note that you can get the Start
Orb back by using one of several third-party programs, either free or
very inexpensive (Classic Shell at
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/ and Start8 at
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/; my personal preference is
Start8, but they are both very good).  And going from one interface to
the other is very easy; there are several ways, but simply pressing
the Windows key is perhaps the easiest. Simply installing one of those
two and using the traditional desktop  interface may be a better
choice for you than going to Windows 7.
I use Windows 8, almost exclusively with the traditional desktop
interface, and with Start 8 installed. If you were to look at and use
my computer, you would have a hard time realizing that it's not
Windows 7.

Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP since October 2003

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

The point of the conversation is that Win 8 FORCES you to use two interfaces whether you want to or not...

Like you, I use Start 8 and it makes my life much more enjoyable not having to look at or deal with the monstrosity that Win 8 shoves down your throat....and I can still use all of Win 8's features if I choose...

A serious error on Microsofts part by not providing this ability...It creates the impression that they think they are BIG BROTHER, and there customers opinions don't count.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

head over too these guys
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/25-BIOS-Mods

they have great mod packs for windows 8 allowing you to use the orginal windows 7 start bar and taskbar in windows 8 disabling windows 8 horrible metro apps and more

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Start Menu X the best I found.

and its free.

these guys really deserve a donation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Start Menu X

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I shouldn't need to have to learn how to use a computer all over again.  It is ridiculous.

Will microsoft provide a solution to this ludicrous oversight?

I think you're all loosing the picture here. What the original post asks is will MS provide a way to revert the interface back to a Win7 looking UI? I personally think MS really stepped in the dog pile on this. Not one person I know that has a Win8 PC likes the new interface, NOT ONE. The arrogance of MS in thinking that they will just flip the UI upside down in essence and no one will notice is astounding to me. MS needs to have a setting that reverts the UI back to the previous version so people can get used to it and not be forced into it. Had I known that 8 was this bad I would have converted to Mac when I bought my laptop. I'd still have to learn a new UI, but a least I would have a rock solid OS. MS, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS, not let aftermarket people come up with "apps" to maybe do what you should have done in the first place!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft adopting new OS should just change the guts of the system but the look should be possible to choose during instalation or after it. It should be possible by profile choosing (e.g. Win 7) or changing all things yourself one after another.

I don't know if it is possible from the programming point of view, but it would cut all discussions which system is the best one.

cheers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Maybe we should look at the market  MS is maybe trying to capture and hold...the young. New generation, new things. Let's face it, we are getting older and the change from windows 7 to Windows 8 is just showing us how old we are! The older we are, the more we fight change! my daughter loved  Windows 8 until she got a Mac. Now I am stuck with her Windows 8 (nightmare). Yuck.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 19, 2019 Views 2,143 Applies to: