can I use send to mail recipient with the mail app?

I've tried to right click on a file in Windows 8 and select Send To > Mail Recipient, but it gives an error saying that i haven't associated an email program. The Mail app is already set to all its defaults, and it doesn't change anything. Can I use the mail app with Send To?
|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,
Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for providing an opportunity to help you.

With regards to the issue, I would like to let you know that you need to add the respective Email account to the Mail app in order to send mails from Mail app.

Please refer to the link below to add the Email account to the Mail app:

Refer to the section “How do I add my email account to Mail?”

Please write us back if the issue still persists.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks, but I've already set up an AOL account for use with it. I can send and receive messages just fine, but not through Explorer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah, that clarifies your problem.  You're trying to use Windows Explorer in the Desktop in order to "share" files.  Remember, anything you do in the Desktop is LEGACY, which means all the Windows 7 rules apply.  In this case, you'd have to have Windows Mail or Outlook installed and configured as your email client.

HOWEVER, depending on the file and what app is used with it, you can use the SHARE charm to send it that way.  Unfortunately, Microsoft hasn't fully extended the Share capability to interface with all files...it's app-dependent.  I tried to follow a parallel process in Metro by doing the following:

Bring up the Search charm

Typed in a filename I wanted to share

Switched the context option from Apps to Files

Right-clicked the file that showed up (this puts a checkmark on the file)

Bring up the Share charm

.....<sad trombone> Got the message "This app can't share".

BTW, you can bring up the charms while in the desktop, too, but you also get a message saying that essentially you can't "share" from the Desktop.

So, you'll either need to setup Windows Mail (or Outlook) in the Desktop so you can use the legacy sharing method, or if you can access the files you're trying to send via a Metro app you can Share from the charms bar.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issue and it has nothing to do with sharing files.  We are simply trying to attach a file to an email through the "Send To" option from right-clicking on a file in explorer.  We are using the "pre-installed" Mail application and getting the error "No program associated to perform the requested action" when we try to use the "Sent to --> Mail Recipient" option in Explorer. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You might not be able to get it to work at all, particularly if you have an AOL account.  Some things are just not working.  I assume you are trying to go through Internet Explorer and not Windows Explorer.  You can try going to Control Panel | Default Programs | Set the Default programs and then select Mail and Set Default and then make sure the mailto is set to Mail.  Then see if the Send to . . . works from IE, but it may not -- it may need a full email client such as Outlook.  If not, at present, you will just have to copy the link from IE and compose a new message and paste the link into the new message.

steve

Steve Cochran, Ph.D.
MS-MVP 1998 - 2014
Outlook Express \ Windows Mail
http://www.oehelp.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have read this thread and understand the original question (why is there no integration between legacy and Metro apps, when it comes to Mail) as well as the more advanced responses that followed suite.

I think the issue is that "Desktop" is a rather "divisive" and counter-intuitive app if one needs to install Outlook or Windows Mail in order to use "Send to - Mail Recipient" from File Explorer. Yes, the more technical ones amongst us understand the differences in OS, but seriously, Windows 8 is all about immersive App experience and users really need *not* have any technical pre-requisites to know how to bridge the 2 world like tinkling with "Default Programs" settings and that hassle. It really should just work.

The scenario is that one could be working in Paint and have saved something to a folder, hence is working in the Desktop/ File Explorer environment. Thus ideally, when one clicks "Send to- Mail recipient" for the selected files, say images, it should automatically invoke Mail (Metro) and bring the user there for further (text) inputs and ultimately, hit "send".

Microsoft, are you reading this?

zhudm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have read this thread and understand the original question (why is there no integration between legacy and Metro apps, when it comes to Mail) as well as the more advanced responses that followed suite.

I think the issue is that "Desktop" is a rather "divisive" and counter-intuitive app if one needs to install Outlook or Windows Mail in order to use "Send to - Mail Recipient" from File Explorer. Yes, the more technical ones amongst us understand the differences in OS, but seriously, Windows 8 is all about immersive App experience and users really need *not* have any technical pre-requisites to know how to bridge the 2 world like tinkling with "Default Programs" settings and that hassle. It really should just work.

The scenario is that one could be working in Paint and have saved something to a folder, hence is working in the Desktop/ File Explorer environment. Thus ideally, when one clicks "Send to- Mail recipient" for the selected files, say images, it should automatically invoke Mail (Metro) and bring the user there for further (text) inputs and ultimately, hit "send".

Microsoft, are you reading this?

zhudm

Kate-PC had this to say in another thread on the same issue ... SUCCINCTLY, if I may add :-

"If File Explorer doesn't or can't open the metro Mail app - then the send to mail recipient command shouldn't be offered. If you want to send files via email, I would probably add them as attachments in the Mail app. "

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The email program that you can download from Microsoft is Windows Live Mail.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The email program that you can download from Microsoft is Windows Live Mail.

No, we want the Send-to dialog to open the Metro mail

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your input. There are several instances where the Legacy desktop and the Metro apps do not work together. A program should be able to access another app. This seems to me to be a major fault on Microsoft's part. Hopefully they will resolve that issue soon. I fully agree with Kate-PC.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 21, 2021 Views 18,867 Applies to: