Question

Q: System Restore Error 0x80070005

A call for help to all Win 7 wizards,

The Futuremark benchmark 3DMark Vantage includes two installations.  After the install, I found that Futuremark's registration hurdles were not worth my effort.  Instead of a simple uninstall I ran System Restore and picked the restore point created by the 3DMark Vantage installation [Restore Point 1].  Upon restart the System Restore message box stated, "System Restore did not complete successfully... system files and settings were not changed. System Restore could not access a file... probably because an anti-virus app is running... disable and retry... unspecified error... (0x80070005) try again and choose a different restore point..."

Next I uninstalled the two Futuremark installations without error.  Then I tried SR using the same restore point getting the same error message.  Then I tried SR using a convenient restore point from three days prior [Restore Point 2] but also got the same error message.

I do not use an anti-virus program.

Next I disabled Windows Defender and UAC, and restarted in safe mode.  I tried SR using Restore Point 1 but I still get the same error message.

It may be that System Restore was never run before today (2010-04-11) on this mid-December 2009 installation of 32-bit Win 7 HP Upgrade.  I will think on it.  I have used SR by necessity several times in XP on this same desktop [ASUS M2N32 SLI Deluxe] and once on my wife's Vista laptop.

My system and data partitions are backed up.  But I really do not want to re-install the operating system.  Win 7 HP Upgrade is an annoying installation.  Hopefully Microsoft has advanced past the tiresome fix all "re-install Windows" mantra.

Please can anyone show me the procedures to allow System Restore to change the registry and files?

Answer

A:

Hi asmrequired,

Do you have access to a Windows DVD?  If so, try performing System Restore from the System Recovery Options menu.  You may also run an SFC scan to repair/recovery any corrupted or missing system files.

Dena
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Dena

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

1 person was helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 3,368 Last updated: June 15, 2018 Applies to: