Windows update KB3004394 issues

Windows update KB3004394  causes the following issues on my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate system:

All MMC functions (Event Viewer, etc.) now require Administrator action, although in an Administrator account.

Windows Defender service will not start

The Windows Defender Service Terminated with the following error

%%-2147023113

Removing it  returns the system to normal.

Anyone else experience this?

Discussion Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 76,610 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Same issue as everyone else, only I noticed it was apparent when On-Screen Keyboard failed to load up, as well as none of the troubleshooting options for the internet worked; the On-Screen Keyboard claimed "a referral was returned from the server", but the troubleshooting options outright told me they failed. Also tried to System Restore but it told me it could only partially do it due to access to a file being restricted.

I figure it had to be related to the update I had just recently performed, so I took the advice and uninstalled it and restarted. Was a bit nervy for a couple of minutes because it caused the start menu icons to become unselectable, but it looks like everything's OK now because the on-screen keyboard popped back up without a fuss, and to be fair it is a little on the old side. Gonna restart a second time and hope for the best.

Phew. Not used to these sorts of things. Thanks a bunch for the help, though.
I'm not sure what else this patch borked but, I'll vouch for the patch breaking the network diagnostic tool.
No problems here: Win7 Pro SP1 x86 (German)

Lem

All MMC functions (Event Viewer, etc.) now require Administrator action, although in an Administrator account.

What is your User Account Control setting? Select Start, Control Panel, User Accounts. Change User Account control settings?

It is set to default and has not changed,

Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011
Seems to affect only x64 systems as my friend with x86 is fine it seems. So the x64 KB3004394 install has some broken files. Hopefully it gets fixed soon. Uninstalled in the meantime and all works. Didn't have any issues with MS updates though with it installed.
MSE installation also aborts with error 8004ff91 after this patch. Error code reveals nothing. Maybe related to the defender problem. Tested on a win7 64 machine.
Yes. VirtualBox went back to working after I uninstalled this update.

Yes, I have the same problem on Win7x64 Home Premium SP1, removed KB3004394 and it is ok now.

Thanks.

how do i remove kb3004394?

Hi there,

Since installing the root certificate update on Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 (German), I am not able to launch a lot of digitally signed software (Tools, Utilities, Games,...). Also all system executables appear to be unsigned now.

I can't access any interface to remove the update - opening the software management results in nothing - there is no visible window. System restore is disabled on my machine, so my question is: Is there any way to uninstall this update using the command line?