Windows Update forces a restart without saving open windows/files

Wndows update automatically shuts down your computer without saving your open windows?
Windows 7 just forced itself to restart due to an update available, and in the process lost me a bunch of data because it didn't save my open windows, either in memory or as files. It could have done the same thing hibernation does by recovering everything after writing the ram to a file, or it could have let me save everything I wanted to before shutting down.

How could anyone possibly think that it was a good idea to force close someone's programs and data? I already made it so Windows Update doesn't count down then shut down,( because you weren't at your computer constantly to notice the short message saying you are about to be screwed over ), but it still will eventually force windows to shut down, an absolutely infuriating 'feature' that makes me want to find who implemented it and cause them no end of physical pain. It almost seems an intentional slight to anger and ruin people.

Is there an ACTUAL way to stop windows from ever shutting my computer down by itself?
Answer
Answer

Reposting...

See...

• Microsoft Update Product Team Blog: Windows Update and Automatic Reboots
   http://blogs.technet.com/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

Now open separate window or tab to this page: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-how-Windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates 

If you select the Download updates but let me choose whether to install them setting, no updates will install without your approval, giving you an opportunity to close any open applications before you install updates.

Tip: Always assume an update will require a reboot.

NOTE: Any change you make now will NOT affect any updates already in the installation queue. As far as Automatic Updates is concerned, you've already Approved those updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 19, 2020 Views 17,498 Applies to: