Windows 7 x64 KB2670838 does not complete install and NO error message

When I try to install KB267038 the progress bar moves almost to the very end and then just stops.  I have tried to then choose "Restart" and it states that it is installing, however even after 24 hours it sometimes takes to reboot it has not installed.  Is there a log I can look at to see the progress of what is it tying to install?

Question Info

Last updated February 4, 2020 Views 5,557 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Brent,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Based on the information you have provided, I understand that you are unable to install an update in Windows 7. I will certainly help you with this issue.

Were there any changes made to the computer prior to the issue?

Please follow the steps from the link.

Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Unable to install updates in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997

NOTE: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

If you face any more issues while working with Windows do post on Microsoft Community Forum.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Any news on an update? I have been unable to install IE 10 on 64 Bit Windows 7 system as it requires KB2670838 which will not install. When I try to install it it just hangs. No error code. [SOURCE; 08 Sept-13]

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5a. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2862772, KB2859537 & KB2868623

(b) KB2850851; KB2839894 & KB2830290;

(c) KB2813347, KB2840149 & KB2807986;

(d) KB2790113; KB2676562 & KB2644615.

5b. Has Windows Internet Explorer 10 (KB2718695) ever been offered via Windows Update?

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 25 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.8.800.94 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

8a. Is IE9 working OK?

8b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade the computer to Win7? 
    - No Windows Vista

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed? What third-party firewall (if any)? 
   - Norton Internet Security 334 Days until this version expires. Firewall part of Norton.  Home router in NAT mode this computer has private IP address.

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it? 
   - Yes previous versions of Norton AntiVirus 

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.) 
   - Yes

5a. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1] 

(a) X 8/20 KB2862772, X 8/20 KB2859537 & X 8/20 KB2868623 
   (b) X 7/11 KB2850851; X 6/13 KB2839894 & - KB2830290 (this stated does not apply); 
   (c) X 4/10 KB2813347, X 4/24 KB2840149 & X 3/20 KB2807986; 
   (d) X 2/14 KB2790113; X 5/11 KB2676562 & X 5/11 KB2644615. 

5b. Has Windows Internet Explorer 10 (KB2718695 [links to support.microsoft.com/kb/2718695]) ever been offered via Windows Update? 
    -  Yes all the time

6. Assuming Java is installed => Is Java Version 7 Update 25 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp 
   - No JAVA installed

7. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.8.800.94 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY! => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ 
   - Version 11.8.800.175 

8a. Is IE9 working OK?
   - As far as I know it is not the main browser I use

8b. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?
   - Yes both Firefox and Chrome 

9. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?
   - I think Norton does and did something like this. 

Still hope that Microsoft comes up with a fix for this.  Would at least like to have an error code pop up when I try to install it.  Was thinking of maybe moving to Windows 8.1 but since they do not have a in place upgrade option not going to do that.

Sorry this didn't help.

Fact: Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly.

1. When (approx. date) did you upgrade the Vista computer to Win7?

2a. Is Norton Internet Security v20.x (AKA NIS 2013) installed or have you (recently) upgraded to NIS v21.x (AKA NIS 2014)?

2b. REPOSTING: Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE!] come preinstalled on the Vista computer when you bought it?

3. Is KB2870699, KB2876315 and possibly KB2872339 listed in Installed Updates and if so, when (exact date) were they installed according to Installed Updates?

COMMENTS:

• NIS does NOT include a registry cleaner.
  • I only asked if KB2830290 was installed, not if you could install it manually.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

1. When (approx. date) did you upgrade the Vista computer to Win7?
   - Do not know for sure however the Windows.old directory has a create date of 3/30/2010

2a. Is Norton Internet Security v20.x (AKA NIS 2013) installed or have you (recently) upgraded to NIS v21.x (AKA NIS 2014)?
   - Norton Internet Security 20.4.0.40

2b. REPOSTING: Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE!] come preinstalled on the Vista computer when you bought it?
   - Do not remember

3. Is KB2870699, KB2876315 and possibly KB2872339 listed in Installed Updates and if so, when (exact date) were they installed according to Installed Updates?
   - KB2870699 9/12/2013
   - KB2876315 9/12/2013
   - KB2872339 9/12/2013

COMMENTS:
NIS does NOT include a registry cleaner. 

- The version I have talks about Registry Cleanup and this is what it states about it on the Symantec website:

Running Registry Cleanup
The Windows registry can contain the entries that refer to files that do not exist. Such broken registry items can slow down your computer. Registry Cleanup scans your computer and cleans any broken registry entries that it finds.

Sorry this didn't help.

[NIS v20.x] talks about Registry Cleanup and this is what it states about it on the Symantec website:

Running Registry Cleanup
The Windows registry can contain the entries that refer to files that do not exist. Such broken registry items can slow down your computer. Registry Cleanup scans your computer and cleans any broken registry entries that it finds.

Not that I'm doubting your veracity but are you certain that Norton Internet Security (not Norton 360 or Norton Security Suite, both of which do include a "registry cleaner") is installed?

Can you post a link to the "Symantec website" (i.e., symantec.com) you quoted? I've found the quote on several norton.com pages but all of them apply to Norton 360. 

Posted by a "Norton guru" in a Norton community forum on 04 December 2012: "Norton Internet Security does not have a registry scanner. Are you talking about Norton 360?"

The above notwithstanding...

Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) cleanly. I've got a hunch that the Norton (and possibly McAfee) "leftovers" is causing your problem.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Found the Norton Internet Security 2013 came with Norton Utilities in the box which is where the "Registry Cleanup" came from.

- https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-billing/current/solutions/v12631552_N360_N360RET_6_cs_cz?docid=v12631552_N360_N360RET_6_cs_cz

So what is the best way to get rid of Norton (and possibly McAfee) "leftovers" so I can install the KB2670838 patch?

The thing is in all this time this is the first update that will not install and it is needed to install IE 10.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Brent,

-          Do you have Service pack 1 update installed on the computer?

You need to use the removal tool of Norton and McAfee to ensure that they are uninstalled or removed completely.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR): http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

If you do not have Windows 7 Service pack 1, then you need to install this update and then proceed with the installation of other updates.

Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1): http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Apologies for the tardy reply.

The link you posted concerns Norton 360's built-in PC Tuneup - which may be the "registry cleaner" in Norton Utilities.  [Yes, it's very confusing!]

Roll up your sleeves & cross your fingers...

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference. You must complete all of the steps in one (1) uninterrupted session. If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1. Right-click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

2a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

2b. If you have backups of ANY/ALL changes Norton "Registry Cleanup" has made to your computer, restore all of them, then reboot; Otherwise, you may skip this one (1) step.

3. After making certain you have a copy of your Product Key handy, uninstall Norton Internet Security  and then LiveUpdate as well as any Norton Add-ons via Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

4. IMPORTANT! => Make certain that the Windows Firewall is enbled immediately after rebooting! [Should happen automatically but I want you to check.]

NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

6. Do a clean install of Norton Internet Security 360 v21.x using your Product ID, if need be (the upgrade is free), & reboot; see this page: https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20090708112600EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

NOTE: Do NOT enable or install any Norton Add-ons or toolbars (e.g., Norton Anti-Phishing) just yet.

7. Manually and repeatedly run (Norton) LiveUpdate until you get a "no more updates" prompt.

8. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9 & IE10, too!

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third one you will NOT use).

9a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

9b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

10. Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. [1]

11a. Right-click on the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop: http://www.slipstick.com/doit/chromehtml.reg [2]

11b. Double-click on the file you saved in #11a above & accept the prompt to MERGE the data with the Registry.

12. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

13a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

13b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter "pop-up!" - then...

13c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [3]

14. Reboot one last time then run a manual check for updates & see if Windows Internet Explorer 10 will successfully install now. [4] Follow all prompts.

• HOW TO run a manual check for updates
       http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date

Tip: Hide any Optional, non-security updates (yes, even though they're classified as an Important updates) for now.

• HOW TO Hide an Update or Restore a Hidden Update
     http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24376-windows-update-hide-restore-hidden-updates.html

15. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

==========================================================
[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert one of your alternate browsers as your default if you wish.

[2] Trusted Source: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

[3] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

[4] Installing IE10 will "drive-by" install KB2670838.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Well after all of that same thing. Ran all the steps and confirmed KB2870699, KB2876315, KB2872339, KB2859537. Only thing that I did change was not to reinstall Norton and just install Microsoft Essentials for now.

When I go to install KB2670838...

States Windows is installing update (100% complete) and hangs. No errors just hangs. I then use Start/Restart. Then states Please do not power off or unplug your machine. Installing update 1 of 1 . . Once again just hangs. Let it go and by the next morning it is back at the login screen however when I check again does not show as installed.

May be the end of the line for Windows 7 64 bit OS on this system.  The thing is I hate Windows 8.  Bill was always about cost of ownership when it came to Windows. The thing is Windows 8 is not what I would call Windows.  It is almost taking us back to COW.

Sorry this didn't help.