windows 7 windows could not check for updates automatically error code 80073712

I have windows 7 home premium sp1 32 bit.

I'm set to install updates automatically, checking daily.

I've looked at my update history and find I do have successful updates recently (some several times) though the "most recent check" was 6/26/12 according to windows update.

I've not added or subtracted anything new & aside from the worry I'm not having any new or different troubles.

My antivirus is AVG and I'm having no trouble there. I've never had norton and don't now, I checked. None of this is new either.

I've tried method 1 below, method 2 is (apparently?) not needed as I've got sp1 already which is the most recent according to the link there and method 3 says " windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation".

I don't own a windows 7DVD as it was installed when I received my laptop. Method 4 is an "in-place upgrade" which apparently requires one.

PLEASE HELP ME!

THANKS!

Method 1: Run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe)
  1. Download and run the System Update Readiness tool. This tool runs a one-time scan for inconsistencies that may prevent future problems with installing updates or service packs. To download and run the System Update Readiness tool (Checksur.exe), visit What is the System Update Readiness Tool?
    (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool)
  2. Install the updates again.
If you still cannot install the updates or turn on Windows features, go to Method 2.

Method 2: Install the latest service pack for your version of Windows.

If you have not installed the latest service pack for your version of Windows, visit the Service Pack Center to download and install it.
  1. Click the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs
    (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/service-packs)
  2. Click the service pack download link for your version of Windows.
  3. Follow the instructions to download and install the latest service pack.
  4. Restart your computer.
  5. Try to install the updates again.

If you still cannot install updates or turn on Windows features, go to Method 3.
Method 3: Run the System File Checker (SFC.exe) tool with the sfc /scannow command

To run the System File Checker, follow these steps:
  1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box (Windows Vista) or the Search programs and files box (Windows 7), and then press Enter.
  2. Right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password, and then click Continue.
  3. In the command box window, type Sfc /scannow, and then press Enter. Note that there is a space before the forward slash in this command.
The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation DVD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows Vista or Windows 7 DVD.

After the scan is complete, try to install the updates again. If you still can't install the updates or turn on Windows features, go to Method 4.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Is it the same computer as in this previous thread of yours? => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-security-update-kb2556532-keeps/76f05dd7-e21f-4c44-8471-8b7fc8362128 (22 November 2011)?

Yes the same one.

If it matters, that same "update" is still hidden. I undid that to see if that solved this issue and had no joy but found that it still wants to tell me it is new and important too.

I re-hid it.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Trust me, you NEVER want to hide a security-related update, especially one addressing a vulnerability in Windows Kernel (e.g., KB2556532)!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 (32-bit) come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

3. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are all of the following other updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2722913, KB2705219, KB2712808 & KB2731847;

(b) KB2698365, KB2691442, KB2655992 & KB2719985 or possibly KB2721691;

(c) KB2685939 & KB2686831;

(d) KB2604115, KB2658846, KB2660649, KB2676562, KB2688338, KB2690533 & KB2656411;

(e) KB2654428, KB2644615 [2] & KB2633171.

6a. Is Java Version 7 Update 7 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING IE (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

6b. Is Adobe Flash Player v11.4.402.265 (or higher) installed? TEST HERE USING IE (ONLY!) => http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

7. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; PC Doctor; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; Comodo System Cleaner; Advanced System Optimizer; CCleaner Registry Cleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

[2] KB2644615 supersedes (replaces) KB2556532.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

a. 8/2010 ish?

b. I had some trouble in the summer of 2011 and sent my laptop to Toshiba. They replaced my hard drive and at that time the Win7 was installed by them (preinstalled). I've not ever upgraded or changed that on my own thus the whole I don't have a disc bit.

2. AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2012 version 2012.0.2221

w/ Anti-Rootkit, Anti-Virus, Identity Protection and PC Analyzer.

I can't find an expiration date but the 2013 edition is out so I'll likely be switching to that but would like to fix this error before I do that as I don't want to have everyone and their brother tell me it's because I switched this. Also, they are still updating this version so it hasn't expired yet.

Anti-Spyware? Isn't that covered above? I haven't installed anything else.
Firewalls? None to my knowledge. I haven't installed anything else.

3. Only the free trials preinstalled which I uninstalled as soon as I turned on my computer. Unless I've missed something…

4. Yes but I uninstalled them. Am I repeating myself or are you repeating yourself?

5. NO UPDATES ARE INSTALLED ON THIS COMPUTER

This is still true. I did mention this before in that previous thread you asked about…

"When I then go to "Installed Updates" it's blank. Nothing. Shouldn't there be something there?

There's nothing there at all which leads me to think perhaps security updates & service pack updates are not logged there but I'd hate it if I was wrong & I'm just not getting my updates at all."

I'm guessing I was right to worry?

a.

My Java version: Version 6 Update 14

You want I should upgrade?

b. I have version 11.3.300.268 installed.

You want I should do more schtick?

7. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

I've not installed them and I don't find them in my installed programs.

8. I've run AVG PC TuneUp once but I don't remember when…

Otherwise no.

Thank you so much for any help!

Please forgive my digressions, asides and detours. Also please forgive any cheeky badness on my part. I find a bit of cheeky badness helps me get through the day...

C.

Sorry this didn't help.

[Computer purchased] 8/2010 ish?...I had some trouble in the summer of 2011 and sent my laptop to Toshiba. They replaced my hard drive and at that time the Win7 was installed by them (preinstalled).

1. When (approx. date) did you get the laptop back from Toshiba? [Your previous thread dates from 22 November 2011 so one assumes you got it back before late November 2011.]

2. When you got it back, was a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] installed?

3. Did you Activate (use) the free-trialware for a period before you installed AVG Free 2012?

4. Did you (a) uninstall the free-trialware AND THEN (b) download/run the appropriate removal tool (c) BEFORE you installed AVG Free? [YES/NO]

5. Is Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | Turn Windows features on or off <=this folder also blank/empty?

I've looked at my update history and find I do have successful updates recently (some several times) though the "most recent check" was 6/26/12...

6a. In Update History, what are the KB numbers of the last 3 or 4 successfully installed updates & when (exact dates) did they install (e.g., KB456789 - 16 June 2012)?

6b. What are the KB numbers of the last 3 or 4 updates which failed to install & what error number(s) is associated with each failure (e.g., KB987654 - 80070424)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your current Java version is very badly outdated & subject to thousands of security vulnerabilities. [1]  Get Java Version 7 Update 7 installed & all previous versions removed ASAP!  Follow the instructions here => http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46263

When you're finished, also delete your Java cache per http://www.java.com/en/download/help/plugin_cache.xml

Ditto for Flash Player; get v11.4.402.265 installed ASAP => http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46252

While you're at it, if Adobe Reader (or Acrobat) is your default PDF reader, make certain that v10.1.4 is installed, too => http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=46241

=======================================================
[1] See http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2012/08/30/protecting-yourself-from-cve-2012-4681-java-exploits.aspx

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Yes, I believe it was 8/11/11 that is the date on the first update in my history anyway.

2. The option was there for use for a free trial of Norton I think. Either one is a red flag for me and I deleted (I UNINSTALLED!) whichever one was there.

3. No. I'm of the mind that old and reliable is better than new and "improved". I stick with what I know.

4. Yes. I think. I HATE these "Free Trials" I find them to be all trouble and no gain and it is the first thing I do when I set up a new computer. I know what I like and like what I know and remove everything else. I don't even want the offers on my system.

All that being said, this was more than a year ago and I don't remember exactly what I did. I do know I would have used the uninstall through windows: Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | Uninstall a program

I'm a girl. We don't do [YES/NO]!

5. Yes. I didn't notice that but when I checked this was blank too.

6a. There's a bit more than you've asked for here but I thought it might help I've added my comments as footnotes before the 6b answer…

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2556532)*

Installation date: ‎9/‎13/‎2012 6:04 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update for Windows 7 (KB2639308)*

Installation date: ‎9/‎13/‎2012 6:04 PM

Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)

Installation date: ‎9/‎13/‎2012 2:53 PM

Fix for KB947821

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2633171) **

Installation date: ‎9/‎3/‎2012 1:45 PM

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2676562) **

Update for Windows 7 (KB2679255) **

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2686827) ***

Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2012 12:21 PM

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2012 (KB890830) ***

Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2012 12:15 PM

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008 x86 (KB2656368) ***

Installation date: ‎6/‎12/‎2012 12:11 PM

*These are the ones from way back when. KB2556532 which I was told to hide 11/11 and KB2639308 which I hid when I noticed it doing the same as the other. As I mentioned before, I un-hid these and they are doing the same loop. I show five successes over 9/12/12 and 9/13/12 before I re-hid them.

**These three (KB2633171, KB2676562, and KB2679255) all failed on 9/3/12 as noted in the next answer and then succeeded three times each all on 9/3/12.

***These (KB2686827, KB890830, and KB2656368) are the last "successful" showing before the current trouble began ("Most recent check for updates: 6/26/12 at 9:07AM").

6b.

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2633171)

Installation date: ‎9/‎3/‎2012 3:01 AM

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80246007

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2676562)

Update for Windows 7 (KB2679255)

*SAMSUNG Electronics Co., Ltd. driver update for SAMSUNG USB Composite Device

Installation date: ‎6/‎20/‎2012 11:09 PM

Error details: Code 800F020B

Security Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2668562)

Installation date: ‎2/‎14/‎2012 2:34 PM

Error details: Code 80070643

*This is because I plug my (SAMSUNG) phone into my laptop to charge it. This always fails when I don't catch it & uncheck the install. I don't think this is a causal item.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Should I do the upgrades before I get this other figured out?

I certainly will do them I just don't know if I should do them right now or wait.

Please don't think I'm second guessing you, I bow to your greater knowledge. I just can't tell if you think this might be a contributing factor or if you're just being helpful outside of my current trouble.

Thanks for the info on these, I didn't realize they were so out of date and as I mentioned I'm not a fan of change…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And thanks again for all of your help; I really do appreciate your time and patience in helping me with my computing issues.

C.

Sorry this didn't help.

Methinks the Norton Nasties© strike again! => Norton (and McAfee) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or upgrading) "cleanly." Let's make sure all traces of the Norton free-trialware are gone. Roll up your sleeves & cross your fingers...

[You may want to print these instructions for offline reference. Do NOT skip ANY steps! If a Step says to reboot, reboot!]

ACTIONS:

1. Download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:  ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

2. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4a. Right-click on the following link & SAVE the download to your desktop: http://iefaq.info/attachments/133/ie8-rereg.zip [1]

Note: Good for IE9, too.

4b. Right-click on the file you downloaded in #4a above (i.e., ie8-rereg.zip) and EXTRACT its contents to the desktop. This will create a new folder on your desktop named ie8-rereg.

4c. Close any open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar), open the new folder created in #4b above, double-click on the file ie8-rereg.cmd to run the script - and then reboot.

5. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

6a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

6b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the pop-up offering the Windows Update Troubleshooter! - then...

6c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [2]

7. Reboot once more then test by running a manual check for updates & seeing if all security-related updates (e.g., KB2722913; KB2633171; KB2556532; KB2676562) offered will successfully install now. [3]

• HOW TO run a manual check for updates
     http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/How-can-I-tell-if-my-computer-is-up-to-date

8. Next, update Java, Flash Player & Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

9. Reply to this post with a status report & hopefully confirm that all of the following updates have been installed and are listed in View installed updates now:

(a) KB2722913, KB2705219, KB2712808 & KB2731847;

(b) KB2698365, KB2691442, KB2655992 & KB2719985 [or possibly KB2721691];

(c) KB2685939 & KB2686831;

(d) KB2604115, KB2658846, KB2660649, KB2676562, KB2688338, KB2690533 & KB2656411;

(e) KB2654428, KB2644615 & our friend KB2633171.

10a. Also tell me if Turn Windows features on or off <=this folder is still blank/empty or not?

10b. OPTIONAL: Also see if you can tell me if Silverlight v4.1.10329.0 or higher is installed?

Good luck!

==================================================
[1] Trusted Source: http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

[2] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

[3] KB2639308 is an Optional, non-security update - feel free to hide it as well as any other non-security updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

I HATE NORTON! How do they survive? I can't think of any product more hated and troublesome but you can't avoid it.

What's that all about?

I need a nap!

Or a very large serving of Jack Daniels.

Neat.

Norton is driving me to drink!

No, I'll have the nap instead and try to be a better, saner, and more zen person.

I may need to do some deep breathing and mindfulness meditation too.

This could take a while...

I've read all that and will print it for reference before I start, I won't be starting anything til later tonight so please check on me tomorrow; I'll be sure to update my status as soon as there's a change.

C.

Sorry this didn't help.

Nope, no change.

I got through steps 1-3 as directed. (I had my printed instructions and followed them to the letter.)

Step 4 I'm unsure of; parts a and b seemed to work as stated but part c did absolutely nothing. Or at least nothing I could see or hear. I rebooted and moved on.

Steps 5 and 6 worked as stated but there was no change at step 7.

No I lie, the Update History did get wiped but nothing else changed.

I still get the same error code 80073712 and the Installed Updates and the Windows Features pages are both still empty.

I skipped the upgrades to Java, Flash and whatnot for now and my Silverlight is v 5.1.10411.0

Should I do the upgrades now? I can't imagine it would make a difference to the original trouble though, as you mentioned some vulnerabilities, perhaps I'd be safer with the latest versions.

I'm having a migraine today so I'm running a bit slow but I don't think I messed anything up. The only thing that was weird was the step 4 issue but perhaps it was as it should be? I didn't really know just what it was supposed to do…

Please keep me in mind, I haven't any other real options for addressing this and you certainly do seem to know what's what.

Thanks so much for the help.

C.

Sorry this didn't help.

Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steps 5 and 6 worked as stated but there was no change at step 7...I still get the same error code 80073712 and the Installed Updates and the Windows Features pages are both still empty.

As I've suspected all along, chances are you're seeing the effects of an ongoing & longstanding [i.e., since early August 2011, if not earlier] hijackware infection, possibly compounded by a rootkit infection!

Note: Since you probably didn't run the Norton Removal Tool before you installed AVG Free, there's a very good chance that AVG did not install properly and therefore has never worked properly either - hence the infection(s).

So now what do (can) you do?

OPTION A: For home users, no-charge support for security updates (only!) is available by calling 800-MICROSOFT (800-642-7676) in the US or 877-568-2495 in Canada. [1]

For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft subsidiary [i.e., in other regions] for support issues relating to security updates (only!), visit the following Microsoft International Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?rdpath=4

OPTION B: Residents of North America (US & CA), the UK (and perhaps other regions now) may obtain Microsoft-sponsored Premium (i.e., paid) Support via the Answer Desk => www.answerdesk.com [2]

OPTION C (Recommended): See...

• Cleaning a Compromised System
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

Then see the (my) ANSWER post in this thread and follow those instructions (to-the-letter & in order! ) to return your computer to a secure & functional state: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bc95f2f0-7968-4bd0-8de5-70b83db31fa6

If you need additional assistance with the clean install of Win7, please begin your own, new thread in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system

If these procedures are outside of your technical "comfort zone" - and there is no shame in admitting this isn't your cup of tea - take the computer to a local, reputable and independent (i.e., not a "BigBoxStore" or the Geek Squad!) computer repair shop & let them do the work. Expect to pay $150.00 USD or more.

Wish I'd had better news for you.  Good luck!

I have nothing further to contribute to this discussion so I won't be monitoring this thread from now on.

=================================================
[1] Monday through Friday, 5:00 AM - 9:00 PM Pacific Time; Saturday and Sunday, 6:00 AM – 3:00 PM Pacific Time

[2] $99.00 USD for "up to 2 hours" of remote support; fee must be paid up front; no guarantees whatsoever. [Tip: Save your hard-earned money! <wink>]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 28, 2020 Views 41,180 Applies to: