Windows 7 Service pack 1 update stuck at 92%

Original Title: I cannot complete the download of Win 7 service pack 1. I get to 92% and the computer does not move off that. It shows a d/l of 60+ mb when the d/l is at 40+mb.

My computer would not d/l even the start of the update of service pack 1. I went to the trouble shooter which fixed the problem after a while waiting. Now I cannot get past 92% waiting over half an hour at thet number. Please help with suggestions, etc. Thank you.

mjjkazmier

|
Answer
Answer
Hi Mjjkazmier,

Please answer the following question in context of this issue related to Windows 7 Service pack 1:
1) Have you installed any third party security software on the computer?
2) How are you trying to download Windows 7 Service pack 1 update? Is it manually or using an update which is offered from Windows update?

This issue could occur due to some of the third party application or any other third party security software installed on the computer.

If you are try to download the service pack using Windows update, follow the methods to try and install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 update on the computer:
Method 1:
If you have installed any security software on the computer, I would suggest you to temporarily disable the security software and then try to install the update.
Important Note: Security software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.
You can refer to the link to perform certain steps before installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 on the computer:
Learn how to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)”
Follow the section “Before you begin” and then “Installing SP1 using Windows Update (recommended)”
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-windows-7-service-pack-1

Method 2:
I would suggest you to install the update after placing the computer in a clean boot state. Check if any other non-Microsoft application is causing this issue.

You can refer to the link to place the computer in clean boot state:
Note: To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.
How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8
Refer the section “Windows 7 and Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note: Please refer to the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Please let us if you need further help on this issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 6, 2021 Views 3,737 Applies to: