Question

Why does my computer run so slow when installing updates? I run windows 7> and why can't these updates be installed when computer is not in use?

kasheather2 asked on
IT appears windows has been installing updates fo quite some time now and slowing my computer down considerably. I purchased this computer in June of 2010 and just got it set up this past Febuary, is windows installing 15 months of updates when computer is in use rather than doing so when it is not in use. Can I change this?  I have dialup internet and use internet explorer 8. 
5 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer

Hi

If you are experiencing this type of problem with updates, you need to take control.

Open Windows Update.

On the left side menu, select Change Settings.

Under Important Updates, select the Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them option.

With this option set, you will be notified when new updates are available and you can pick which updates you wish to download and install when you are ready.

If you wish to not be notified of a particular update again, when you see that update on the list, simply right click the update and select the Hide Update option.

Also, you can take a shortcut and install the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from Windows Update. This service pack contains hundreds of previous updates.

Regards

MVP 1999 - Present
Windows Insider MVP
2 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress