Why are Windows updates so slow (and long) with Windows 7

original title: We'll search the Windows forum for an answerWhy are Windows updates so slow (and long) with Windows 7

I have a new netbook with windows 7 starter.
Last night when I tried to shut down, I got a message about updating and not to shut down.  If I recall correctly, the download consisted of 49 items.

Today when I turned the computer on, after I entered my password, the computer told me to not shut down and stage 3 was in process.
Then it switched to a "Windows 7 Starter" screen (Windows 7 Starter with the windows logo at the bottom of a patterned blue screen, the same screen I get when booting up before the password screen appears.)  There is no other info on the screen.

It has been a couple of hours since the screen appeared and nothing else appears to be going on.  For the first 40 minutes, the hard drive light was on almost constantly, since then there is an occasional "blink" of the hard drive light.

Is this normal?
If so how long should I expect the process to take?

If not, (how would I be able to tell), what happens if I turn the computer off (assuming I can), and is there any way of recovering?

Anything else I should do?

Suggestions:
1.  Provide the user with some indication that something is happening, and show progress so we know its not just locked up.
2.  Offer an option where the user can delay the long configuration (or whatever is happening) so that if the computer is needed for critical work related use, the user won't get fired.

Thanks
tom

Answer
Answer

Hi,

It seems to be an issue with the updates installation.

Please follow the article mentioned below:
An update is not installed successfully when you try to install the update in Windows Vista and Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

54 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 25, 2023 Views 323,951 Applies to: