Visual C++ 2005 Redistibutable error 1714

I have been unable to install the Windows update (KB2538242) Security Update of Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package.  It keeps saying that it has successfully installed, but then Windows update keeps telling me that I need to install it.

So, I read other posts and followed directions to download and install the updates manually.  My system is WIN7 64 bit.  So, following others leads, I downloaded and attempted to install 2 files (vcredist_x65.exe and vcredist_x86.exe).  The installation of the x64 file does not produce any error messages, but the x86 file produces a message saying it can't find the installation package vcredist.msiin in my user \AppData\Local\Temp\IXP000.TI.  I can browse right to the file, but then it says it is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable and wants me to find it somewhere else? When I cancel out of all of that it gives me the message:  Error 1714.  The older version of MSVC++ 2005 R cannot be removed.  Here's what I see in Control Panel Programs.

I don't know what to try next.

I have had problems with all Windows updates today (MS .NET Framework 4 updates (KB2478663 and KB2518870, MS Silverlight (KB2512827).  I have had to manually uninstall each of these and download and install the updates.  Two other updates also failed:  MS Office 2010 (KB2523113) for 32-bit edition and MS Excel 2010 (KB2523021) for 32-bit edition.  I haven't gotten around to trying to problem solve those yet.

These updates and the resulting problems have taken 5 hours of my time so far today and I am really frustrated.  Please provide help and guidance for the remaining issues:  MS Visual C, MS Office, and MS Excel updates.

Thanks so much!

Question Info

Last updated March 4, 2019 Views 17,746 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Thanks for your response, Dreamtreater.

I resolved this problem by doing a system restore to a point before the first Windows Update failure to install all of these updates (listed in my first post).  I then manually installed the updates that had previously failed, and they all installed perfectly.  So . . . what was wrong with Windows Update?

Anyway, what I learned from this is that if a Windows Update fails to install something - do not retry!  Just manually download the update, do a system restore to a point before the failure, and then manually install the update.  A failed update process will likely corrupt the uninstall files that may be required to remove the program that needs updating.  And, if you make too many attempts that fail, you may not have a clean restore point to restore to.  Windows makes a restore point before each attempt to install Windows updates.  these restore points are limited, depending on how much space you have allowed for the restore process.  I was lucky.  I had one clean (before the first failure) restore point left after all my failed attempts.

Glad we both found our ways through this mess! 

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.