Updates trying to install over and over again (KB2760411, KB2760588, and KB2760583)

These three updates are trying to be reinstalled over and over again.  Replicable on both PCs

• KB2760411
  • KB2760588
  • KB2760583

The updates are trying to be install over and over again.  Every time I click "check for updates," there it appears again.

The screenshots below illustrates this:

List of threads that have the same issue:

Media coverage:

Update 1: I have tried restarting the PC.  Nothing.  I have also tried FixIt when trying to troubleshoot Windows Update errors.  Still nothing.  The FixIt simply "runs" till the end and then says "finish."  It did not offer to fix anything.

Windows 7 X64 SP1 with Norton Internet Security 2013 (version 20).

Update: I found other users having the same problem http://www.computerbase.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1252121 (in Dutch I presume).  Translated page: http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1252121&act=url

Update 2: Added media coverage of the issue.

Update 3: Add even more threads found via Google.

Update 4: Microsoft has now offered a statement regarding this bug:
“We’ve received reports of some customers experiencing issues when deploying some of September’s Office-related updates. We are investigating this issue and will act accordingly, to help ensure that our customers are protected." -- Dustin Childs, group manager, Microsoft Trustworthy Computing

Microsoft has acknowledge this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2760583/en-us

Known issues with this security update

• You may be repeatedly offered this update even though it is already installed. Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.

Update 5: I did not have to do anything on my part (like re-install updates), so it's probably a detection issue on Microsoft's part.

Question Info

Last updated August 31, 2018 Views 107,836 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The updates are successfully installed, but they keep showing up in Windows Update as needing to be installed. I guess we could hide them if need be, but all three show as being successfully installed on my computer.

46 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The updates are successfully installed, but they keep showing up in Windows Update as needing to be installed. I guess we could hide them if need be, but all three show as being successfully installed on my computer.

At least I'm not the only one.  It maybe a Microsoft error and they need to fix it.
My blog: http://tyw7.blogspot.com

Sorry this didn't help.

I can add KB2760590 to your list.

This happens on Vista and Windows 7. All are Office 2007 related for me.

This answer is provided “as-is.” You bear the risk of using it.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can add KB2760590 to your list.

This happens on Vista and Windows 7. All are Office 2007 related for me.

Well I did not get the update at all on my PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem. Vista 64-bit. Tried disabling antivirus, but no difference. Updates show as installed in Programs and Features. Would welcome a work around. I'm perfectly willing to edit registry if that's what it would take to effect a repair.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's for the standalone Excel Viewer. Probably not applicable to people with the full Office suite installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's for the standalone Excel Viewer. Probably not applicable to people with the full Office suite installed.

Ah right.  I do not have Excel Viewer (I have the full suite)

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same problem with Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites KB2760411 and KB2760588.  The update KB2760583 did not appear on my list of updates.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 and Norton Internet Security v20

I am not using MS Office Suite.  I have a 60 day trial for MS Office that I have never activated.  If this were not a security update, I wouldn't be too concerned.  I do want the Updater to quit telling me to update it though.

Sept 11

I found a post suggesting updates be applied manually rather than automatcally.  I was already doing this, so it isn't a solution for me. 
I also saw a suggestion to report the error code for the failure.  The update history shows the two updates were successful.  As the updater does not record a failure to update there is no error code to report. 
Another suggestion was to manually select only one of the updates, then update and restart.  I have done this for both KB2760411 and KB2760588 in turn without success.  Both updates are still on the important update list.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's almost certainly a detection problem. Microsoft should reissue the update in a few days with a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's almost certainly a detection problem. Microsoft should reissue the update in a few days with a fix.
I agree. In the mean time you can hide the update by right clicking the update in the update list and select "Hide update". That will prevent the update(s) from bugging you again. Then, in a couple of days check whether Microsoft has fixed the issue and then, if so, go to Windows Update > Restore hidden updates and unhide them. I have the same issue with the above mentioned three updates and for now I done what I have described as a workaround. As these updates are included in the list with installed updates I am not afraid that Office has not been patched.

Sorry this didn't help.