Receiving error code 800B0100 when trying to install update KB 2656411

I was checking for windows updates and was informed that there's a number of them available. All but one installed without any problems. The one that failed to install gave me an error code 800B0100. It is an update for the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 for Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB 2656411).

Also, in that same group of updates there was another update for the 3.5.1 Framework but that update is KB 2604115. That one installed just fine, but KB 2656411 keeps failing and giving an error.

I looked around and found another place where someone was recommending that the two updates need to be installed in a specific order. KB 2656411 should be installed first, followed by KB 2604115. I tried doing this but I continue to receive an error.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

My specs:

Operating System: Win 7 Professional

System Type: 32 bits

Anti-virus: Microsoft Security Essentials

Can I please get some help with this issue?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

Method 2:
Error 0x800B0100 when updates installed by Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956702
Method 3:

Run SFC scan.
System File Checker (sfc) scan will make Windows replace corrupt or missing system files on your computer.
Steps to perform sfc scan:
a. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
b. Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.
c. In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:
sfc /scannow

Refer this KB article for more information:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply,

Ok, I've tried method 1, it didn't work. The troubleshooter scanned the Windows Update and found two problems which it fixed apparently. At least from what it told me. Then I tried installing the KB 2656411 update and it still failed and gave me the same error code 800B0100.

I tried running the troubleshooter again after that, and it again found an error with the windows update and fixed it. I attempted to install the update again but once more it failed with same error code.

I moved onto method 2. With this one there is something I don't understand. I downloaded the appropriate System Update Readiness Tool. It is the version for Windows 7 (x86). I saved it to my desktop and then ran it. It installed fine but how do I run it now? I don't see any new entries in the start menu. What do I do?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm still stuck on the Method 2. I've downloaded the appropriate version of the System Update Readiness Tool and have installed it, but what do I do next? I'm not sure how to run it as I don't see any new entries in the start/all programs menu. The download page for the program is also not very clear as to what to do after installation.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Follow the article that tells you how to run System Update Readiness tool and see if that helps:

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for Windows Server 2008, for Windows 7, and for Windows Server 2008 R2

Note: You need to install the System Update Readiness tool and then install the failing updates again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have now tried Methods 2 and 3. Neither has resolved the issue. I'm continuing to receive the same error when trying to install KB 2656411 update.

When I did the SFC scan it informed me that it did not find any integrity violations.

Should I try this automatic troubleshooter as well http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Please try the automatic troubleshooter and let us know the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello AVD7,

Did the troubleshooter help?

If not, then I wanted to give you the option to send us your Windowsupdate.log and checksur.log files so that we can look at what was happening with the machine at the time of these crashes.

Can you post the C:\Windows\windowsupdate.log and C:\Windows\logs\CBS\Checksur.log files in a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com?

After doing so, please post the link on this thread so that the community can look the log over.

You may look at the following thread for more in-depth instructions on posting a file to your skydrive:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/suggest/how-to-insert-an-image-into-a-post-at-answers/bdae0306-c3cb-4d31-ace9-7281ea1a8a73

Note that this also tells you how to post screenshots to answers.

Best regards,

Matthew_Ha

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 24, 2021 Views 1,274 Applies to: