Ran Update Fix It which REMOVED my Update History with record of failed updates.

Ran Update Fix It to try to install some failed updates.  It fixed a few but REMOVED my entire Update History so I can no longer see which updates failed.  Instead, Update History now states "You have not tried to install any updates for your computer."  How to restore Update History including Status info?  (Record of my 141 updates is noted in Installed Updates -- but no record of the failed updates.)
|

It's not the history that's important, it's the installed updates:

Look under - Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features > Installed Updates

Unfortunately one of the side effects of running some of the fixits is to lose your history.

No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

WYSIWYG when you run the "update fix it."

Running the "update fix it" will delete your Update History but NOT the updates listed in View installed updates.

cf. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-update-issues-after-system-restore/32405efe-1006-4347-aa92-9a9b9ff8f2f5 (13 Feb-13)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

6-Dec-12, first start-up of new computer, Windows 7, 64-bit, SP-1 Home Premium pre-loaded

Installed updates shows 62 updates installed in 2010, 2011, 2012 before I received new computer.

(This includes IE9 installed on 28-Sep-12 which helped address my MS-Community question 2)

7-Dec-12, Install MS Security Essentials, run scan

Windows Updates in 3 stages: 70+12+5 = 87(?) installed and some updates fail to install.

(Windows Defender (n/a), some definition updates, KB9155597(?), etc.  I did not write down how many updates failed but I think there were 6)

Run UpdateFixIt.  Update History is deleted, so I can no longer tell which updates failed.

I write question 1 to community.  Per response, I understand WYSIWYG.

I will rely on Windows Update to recall failed updates some days later (as it did on my old XP).

Windows updates received since then

13-Dec-12 (6), 24-Dec-12 (1), 10-Jan-13 (11), 13-Feb-13(7) << KB915597 has not installed to date.

148 Windows Updates installed to date

8-Dec-12, Activate MS-Office H+B 2010 and install 7 updates

35 MS-Office updates received to date, including SP1

Other MS updates to date:

11 .Net Framework 4.0 Client Profile

7   .Net Framework 4.0 Extended

1 Silverlight

2 Visual C++

The only update I was offered and decided not to install is the Bing Desktop (optional).

Please let me know if screenshots would help.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Your 13 February 2013 thread in Windows Update tells the real story and source of your current problems. To avoid further confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to that thread => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-update-issues-after-system-restore/32405efe-1006-4347-aa92-9a9b9ff8f2f5

See you over there!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated August 12, 2018 Views 521 Applies to: