platform update KB2670838 breaks aero

This "Platform Update" broke Aero transparency on my Thinkpad W500. It was marked as a critical (i.e. non-optional) update.

As I have no need for IE 10, I've uninstalled it, and marked the update as "hidden" in the Windows Update UI.

Closer examination of the MSDN article about the update at Platform Update for Windows 7 (Preliminary) shows that it removes several APIs and changes the graphics layer in many respects.

Why Microsoft classified this as a critical update is beyond understanding: don't they understand that many people run Windows 7 on not-the-latest hardware whose graphics drivers are no longer updated? And thus the update has a strong chance of causing problems?

Fail, fail, fail, ....

Question Info

Last updated January 6, 2019 Views 5,968 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
I simply used the un-install option from the "Programs & Updates" Control Center panel, and the previous Aero behaviour was restored (I now think a system restore was actually the more correct response in cases like these). I too noticed that the Platform Update suddenly became "optional" after un-installing it.

Since I've no reason to run IE10 or programs (yet) that require Windows 8 compatibility updates, I won't install this particular update.
No Signature Yet

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.