nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT - update locks up PC

The following udate provided by the windows update system:

nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Download size: 226.0 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

nVidia Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other hardware software update released in October, 2012

Causes the PC to lock up and the only way to recover is to return to a previously restored version of the system.

I have tried a later version from the nVidia website and this has the same effect.

I have current inhibited the automatic upgrade option to prevent the system locking up.

Answer
Answer

I have a similar problem, only that my update says NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS and 171,6MB. the problem occured first mid of November and today I tracked it down to the NVIDIA update as the reason.

regards

Johannes

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Windows Update settings do not install Recommended Updates, which include drivers, unless the end user has configured it to do so, which is a v.bad move

The default settings for Windows Update is Important Updates ONLY and a driver is not classified as Important but as Recommended.

The latest version from Nvidia was released 2012.12.17 v310.70

FWIW I havent updated this Nvidia driver since 2011, but since I'm not a gamer theres no reason

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2020 Views 18,051 Applies to: