Question
125627 views

New Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.320 causing error 80246002 during search for updates

Sam Harper asked on

I am using Windows 7 64-bit with Service Pack 1. Windows Update had been working very well until the Windows Update Agent was automatically updated to 7.6.7600.320 sometime in August 2014. Now when Windows Update attempts to search for updates, it reports that "Windows could not search for updates" and indicates that error code 80246002 was received.

[UPDATE]  Since posting this query, I think that I have resolved my problem by following the instructions described on the page "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 for x64 based Systems (KB947821) [May 2014]".   I downloaded the file (Windows6.1-KB947821-v33-x64.msu) and then let it install itself. It describes itself as "Hotfix for Windows (KB947821)".  The installation took a long time, with much disk activity.  When it finally finished, I rebooted my machine, and attempted a Windows Update. It appeared to work properly; it even found an important update which I then installed successfully.  So apparently for my problem the Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) provided the solution.

[UPDATE 2]  After seeing the posts about changing the DNS to solve the problem, I thought I would add the following information in case it is relevant:

  • I am using the 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 11, and confirmed that it is operating in 64-bit mode by inspecting the browser's user agent.  You can review your browser's user agent by visiting the site http://user-agent.me/
  • My Internet protocol properties are set to "Obtain DNS server address automatically".  This works with my wireless router, and I have never been tempted to change it.

[UPDATE 3]  After thinking that I was safe, having done multiple successful searches for updates, the 80246002 problem returned on my machine!  I rebooted my wireless router and my machine but it did not help.  So, I went ahead and tried the DNS trick:  I changed the preferred DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and the alternate DNS server to 8.8.4.4, and then rebooted.  Now Windows Update search is successful!  I am humbled, and grateful!  

244 people had this question

Abuse history


The answered status icon Answer
tb1983 replied on

In my case I got the window update error code 80246002 after I uninstalled KB2982791 as per https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS14-045 and then tried checking for updates.  Nothing I did would clear the error  (ipconfig /flushdns, renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder, a few MS Fix its, etc...).  Since KB2993651 was the replacement update that I was trying to download and install, I decided to manually download the update from the windows update catalog (http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB2993651).  After downloading and installing KB2993651, I rebooted the PC and then I was able to check for Windows Updates again without getting the 80246002 error code.

22 people found this helpful

Abuse history


The answered status icon Answer
SirBobby replied on

I finally fixed the update problem with an Acer Aspire 5315 Laptop.

I installed KB2993651 for win 7  32 bit.

I then got update error  80244019

I then looked that up & installed KB 971058 -

it went to 100% CPU but less than 100% after 5 minutes.

It then was able to get updates.

It downloaded 187 updates to 100% completion.

It started installing 187 updates & got to 30 % then rebooted & was still going at 32% of updates when I left my friends place.

I phoned her & it seems ok.

I'll have to check next time I'm there that it's all done.

Moral of the story - don't give up - keep trying.

cheers

Bobby

15 people found this helpful

Abuse history


Most Helpful Reply
TommyM1975 replied on

Change DNS on your computer to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Do not ask me why. It seems to resolve the problem.
Tommy, Dubrovnik, Croatia
81 people found this helpful

Abuse history


progress