my computer is in a state where updates cannot be installed(no sp1 or anything at all)

to begin with, it all started when i tried to install a game, Front Mission Evolved. the game installed fine, however the component Microsoft virtual C++ 2005 redistributable did not (error 1935).
also my computer is in a state where updates cannot be installed(no sp1 or anything at all)
sfc /scannow found corrupt files, did not list or fix them.
microsoft fixit tool did not work
et cetera.......
more on what has been happening here:
i am so tired of trying to figure out what to do to fix it (i have no real computer skills, reading code, such as the cbs log).
i just want a real fix...
-Seth

Question Info

Last updated December 21, 2017 Views 289 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

sfc /scannow found corrupt files, did not list or fix them.
microsoft fixit tool did not work
et cetera.......

Depending on your Windows 7 architecture, download / install and run the System Update Readiness Tool -CheckSur <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821> You can download the tool from the links below in accordance with your system type.

Download the System Update Readiness Tool (64bit) <<http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=20858>>

Download the System Update Readiness Tool (32bit) <<http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=3132>>

UTC/GMT is 00:11 on Thursday, January 19, 2012                                

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

tried the SUR tool, as i posted in the link above:
3)updater downloaded and installed correctly, found out i had 94 something updates that needed to be installed. even after downloading and running system update readiness tool, it still did did not help them install(also restarted, didn't help).
i do not currently have a hard copy of windows 7 home premium, it was preinstalled when the computer was bought. the make and model is a
Dell studio 540S with a pentium dual-core processor (64 bit).
if possible, i would like a hard copy mailed to me, i can provide the product key for the preinstalled that i own.
"The next statement is true. The previous statement is false."
-Card Paradox

Sorry this didn't help.

Please answer each of the following diagnostic questions in a numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2a. Is Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (already) installed? See...

• Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

2b. Is it a Win7 64-bit computer?  See...

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

3. What is the full name of your installed anti-virus application or security suite and when (approx. date) does your current subscription expire?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender) are installed?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

4. Has a(nother) Norton application or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

5. Did a Norton free-trial or a McAfee free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

6. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

• KB2631813, KB2644615, KB2584146, KB2585542; KB2618444, KB2639417 & KB2620712

• KB2633171 or KB2556532 [<=TELL ME WHICH ONE]

• KB2656355 or KB2656356 [<=TELL ME WHICH ONE]

• KB2544521 or Windows Internet Explorer 9 [<=TELL ME WHICH ONE]

7. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; CCleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

[Last Revised - 02 February 2012, 21:14 UTC]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

1a a little foggy, my dad bought it. 2007 or 2008 i think.

1b Win7 did come preinstalled, there was never any vista on this computer.

2a there is no service pack on the computer, tried to download and install it, but it failed.

2b it is a win7 64 bit version.

3 PC Tools Spyware doctor with antivirus. cant find when the subscription ends, dad bought it. it also keeps asking to disable Wdefender.... dont think that I have a third party firewall.

4 we did have mcafee at one point.

5 mcafee free trial, in my case.

6 none of the updates you listed are installed, most likely do not have IE 9. as additional information, there are only 10 installed updates on the computer(recently used the "repair your computer" option on the black windows startup screen) there are also 98 important updates as well as 6 optional updates available.

7 yes, google chrome as the internet browser.

8 not to my knowledge, no.
-Card Paradox

Sorry this didn't help.

Note: Computers with Win7 preinstalled weren't available until late October 2009.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More questions:

1. Does the computer belong to you or your father/family?

2a. How long (approximately) has PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus been installed?

2b. Can your father tell us when the current subscription expires?

2c. Can you successfully update the PC Tools application manually?

3a. Had the preinstalled McAfee free-trial period already expired by the time it was replaced with another application (e.g., PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus)?

3b. Did you (a) uninstall the McAfee application AND THEN (b) download/run the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & reboot (c) BEFORE you installed another application (e.g., PC Tools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus)?

4. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to this page: http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Highlight/select ONLY the red text at the top of the page and copy it to your clipboard. Paste the contents of your clipboard into your next reply as your answer for #4.

there are only 10 installed updates [listed in Installed Updates]

5. Please post the KB numbers of all 10 updates in your next reply as your answer for #5.

========================================

Off-topic: Assuming you are Seth in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2009/03/12/9472695.aspx?CommentPosted=true#commentmessage, Mr. Stebner's gone to most admirable extremes to help you IMHO. Tip: Post a link to this thread in a Comment reply, too - I'm sure he'll be interested to read all we've discussed.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

ah, well i said it was foggy...

1 yes, mainly my parents use a laptop w/ vista on it. i share this one with my sister.
2a quite a while, (foggy) i think 6 month maybe a full year, my dad also  put PC tools back onto the computer after the repair.
2b yes, i can ask him.
2c to my knowledge of what i have checked, there is not a manual update option for the PC tools. however, it does "smart" update itself on occasion. these "smart updates" install correctly and all, they are only visible from a list in the PC tools menu (activity history).
3a yes, i believe so.
3b its possible that we just left the application on the computer, but if it was uninstalled (sorry for all of the most likely's and possibles, it was quite a while ago and i mostly didn't  care (at the time we weren't really having any problems).) then we most likely did not use the tool afterwards; this out of lack of knowledge of the tools existence (possible that my father used it).
4 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; MDDC)
5  one of them is an adobe reader thing, it has no KB #
     another one is something called Microsoft Silverlight, it has a number 3.0.40624.0 (not a KB #) 
KB931906
KB934528(program list describes this one as a compatibility pack)
KB929722
KB934528(program list describes this one as home and student)
KB934528(program list describes this as a powerpoint viewer)
KB2641690
KB974204
KB973874

yes, that would be me. he has indeed, i have thanked him multiple times, although for some reason a lot of those thank you's don't appear in the comments. :(
will also post a link there.
in addition, if you would like to try remote assistance to see just how screwed up it can be, just ask, ill send an invite file and post the password.
-Card Paradox

Sorry this didn't help.

COMMENTS:

=> This PCTools.com forum thread suggests that the latest version of Spyware Doctor with Antivirus cannot be updated manually: http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?69498-The-Big-Slow-Down

=> I suspect you're seeing the effects of a longstanding hijackware infection.

=> Many of the update KB numbers in your last reply have been superseded by newer updates and are no longer in MS's database.

=> All of your problems may be due to failing to run the Norton Consumer Products Removal Tool at the appropriate time.

=> If you wish to obtain remote assistance and you reside in the USA, such support is available via this page (but it's not going to be free): www.answerdesk.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OPTION A: Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for issues related to Windows 7 Service Packs. Availability of chat, phone or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there may be a charge: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&gprid=14496&&st=1

OPTION B: Visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates. 

OPTION C (Recommended): See...

• Cleaning a Compromised System
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc700813.aspx

Then see the (my) ANSWER post in this thread and follow those instructions (to-the-letter and in order! ) to return your computer to a secure & functional state: http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/bc95f2f0-7968-4bd0-8de5-70b83db31fa6

===========================================================

Note: The computer should NOT be connected to the internet or any local networks (i.e., other computers) in its current state. All of your personal data (e.g., online banking & credit-card passwords) should be considered at-risk, if not already compromised.

Wish I'd had better news for you. Good luck!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

wow...... that's a lot to take in........................
its not okay to carry over ANY files? at all?(btw writing this as i read everything)
since the repair thing, we mostly everything was lost(wasn't very important anyway).
i did want to keep a folder for game(.minecraft saves folder, it's so addictive.....)(my sister might have a couple files as well), and some links for the help pages that you listed. is that okay? since i've apparently been hacked, i want to make sure i do it right. i suppose ill have to put the removal tool on a flash drive instead of using the internet to do it...... im also copy&pasting every instruction to print out.(again, as im reading...) so i cant connect even a flash drive, can't go on the internet.... how will i get the required tools?
im going to go with option C, most simple and effective. also, how do i access the hidden recovery partition? in addition, what modifcations, if any, would i have to make by the use of the HRP? do you recommend the pctools we have? my dad really likes it, but im somewhat unsure/suspicious(mostly that's its frequent asking to disable Wdefender). i might just use MicrosoftSE, as suggested.
about the expiration dates etc., he put me off say to ask the next day, will ask when he gets home.
p.s. if and once everything is fixed, what do you recommend i do in the future (eg ,what freedom of range in sites should i use, et cetera...)
thanks
-Card Paradox

Sorry this didn't help.

also, just asked him.
we've had pctools for about a year, current subscription ends in Jan 13, 2013
-Card Paradox

Sorry this didn't help.

=> Prior to doing the clean install, backup your data (e.g., contents of My Documents folder; IE Favorites; Outlook or Windows Live Mail messages; etc.) to CD/DVD or a brand-new, never-been-used flash drive.

After completing the clean install AND getting your anti-virus application installed AND THEN getting the computer fully-patched at Windows Update (exactly per the Answer post in this thread:

• Run a full scan on the CD, DVD or flash drive containing your backup(s).

• Then scan the data using at least two (2) reputable online scans (e.g., ESET; Kaspersky; Bit Defender; Trend Micro Housecall).

Now your ready to restore the data to the hard-drive. More assistance available in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security

=> I would definitely recommend Microsoft Security Essentials over any other free anti-virus/anti-spyware application and the PC Tools suite.

=> If you need additional assistance with the clean install, please begin your own, new thread in this forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system

Again, good luck!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.