MS UPDATE FAIL causes api-ms-win-downlevel-user32-l1-1-0.dll MISSING

I have the same problem, also beginning when Win 7 updated. I cannot launch Firefox or IE because this error reports back. McAfee Antivirus and Carbonite Backup will not run either; both are reporting back the same error. 

Hey, Microsoft! STEP UP!

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Come on ms we need a solution asap please.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

put my progress on the other thread guys

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/ms-update-fail-causes-api-ms-win-downlevel-user32/113a719f-b051-4ad2-902a-c61300efaf93

Sorry this didn't help.

@DAN ONLY! =>

1. Uninstall IE10 and/or KB2670838 & reboot.

2. Run the Windows Update troubleshooter from start to finish & reboot again.

3. Immediately run a manual check for updates and hide IE10 and/or KB2670838 before AU installs 'em again.

4. Reply to this post with a status report.

More, later...

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

how can i uninstall IE10 when everything i try and run reports out error missing files ?

is there a way i can do it from dos in advanced recovery options or an other way ?

Steve

Sorry this didn't help.

@STEVE ONLY =>

To avoid confusion & duplication of effort, please post any/all further follow-up in replies to your own, new thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/ms-update-fail-causes-api-ms-win-downlevel-user32/113a719f-b051-4ad2-902a-c61300efaf93

THX

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Follow-up @DAN ONLY =>

I have the same problem, also beginning when Win 7 updated. I cannot launch Firefox or IE because this error reports back. McAfee Antivirus and Carbonite Backup will not run either...

Assuming Win7 64-bit...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply, preferably without quoting my post:

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 64-bit come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

1c. Assuming you're AKA Dan in NJ, is it the same computer as in this previous thread of yours? => http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/unable-to-boot-to-the-computer-blue-screen/ff3cfd1e-ac1b-41e5-a583-cbd7e499a300 (20 Sept-12 &ff)

I am running McAfee Security Center; subscription expires late April 2013. They also provide anti-spyware and firewall via this software...I do not know if IE10 Release Preview was installed. Yes, Automatic Updates is running, and IE10 was installed by Automatic Updates...
[SOURCE: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/ms-update-fail-causes-api-ms-win-downlevel-user32/113a719f-b051-4ad2-902a-c61300efaf93?page=3]

2. How long has McAfee Security Center been installed?

3. Has any other McAfee application or a Norton application EVER been installed on the computer since you bought it?

4. Did a McAfee free-trial or a Norton free-trial [pick one] come preinstalled on the (Vista?) computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

[Last Revised - 18 March 2013, 2:39 PM EDT/18:39 UTC ]

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

To Bear - I have opened up support cases for both so let's see what happens and I'll report back.

Sorry this didn't help.

PA Bear Only:

1a. December 2008 (approx)
1b. Upgraded from Vista. I am running 7 Ultimate, not Pro
1c. Yes, that's me--Dan in NJ. I tried starting this thread using Dan in NJ, but I could not log in so I created another pseudonym and account. Yes, it is the same computer. And to try to keep you from having to ask another question, that issue turned out to be due to a bad video memory card slot--the computer could not pass its own startup checks. I removed the card--problem solved.
2. McAfee Security Center has been installed/running since I got the computer. 
3. No
4. Yes, the system came with (6 months?) of McAfee free from Dell. Since it did the job I just kept re-enlisting. I have never seen, installed, or used anything Norton on this machine.

Thanks for your patience.

Sorry this didn't help.

Fact: McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not upgrading (or uninstalling) cleanly. Chances are the years' worth of McAfee leftovers is your troublemaker. Let's see if we can ease my esteemed colleague Susan's burden here and keep you out of Microsoft's outsourced, third-party tech support's evil clutches. <wink>

Roll up your sleeves, cross your fingers & try the following multi-step fix I've cooked-up just for your computer...

ACTIONS

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference. IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP [other than #8 & #9] & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session! If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Uninstall McAfee Security Center via Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

4. IMPORTANT! => Make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled immediately after rebooting! [Should happen automatically but I want you to doublecheck.]

NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1 above and select Run as Administrator to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

6. Do a clean install of McAfee Security Center (using your Product ID, if need be) & reboot. If you purchased your software directly from McAfee, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx to log in and download your software.

7. Manually and repeatedly update the McAfee application until you get a "no more updates" or similar prompt.

8. Only if Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser is installed => Re-assert Internet Explorer as the default Browser in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of Set Program Access and Computer Defaults. [1]

9a. Only if Google Chrome is installed => Right-click on the following link and SAVE the download to your desktop: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/reg/chromehtml.reg [2]

9b. Double-click on the file you saved in #9a above & accept the prompt to MERGE the data with the Registry.

10. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

11a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

11b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the Windows Update troubleshooter pop-up! - then...

11c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [3]

12. Reboot again & test.

13. Reply to this post with a status report.  Even if all is well, I'll have a few more questions for you.

Good luck!

===============================================================
[1] After we've finished this thread, feel free to reassert Firefox or Chrome as your default if you wish.

[2] Trusted Source: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/this-operation-has-been-cancelled-due-to-restrictions/

[3] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

PA Bear ONLY:

Before I embark on this path of self-discovery, let me complicate matters some more:

• I'll try this, but ever since this whole thing started I have been unable to download anything at all; downloads are "blocked" because of "missing .dll files." So I doubt that I will be able to download the uninstaller
  • Remember, Chrome is my ONLY currently-functioning browser
  • The IE issue has gotten all the attention, but my Office suite has been affected as well. Each time I try to launch an Office app, it reports that "(APPLICATION)EXE.cannot start because api-ms-win-downlevel-ole32-I1-1-0.dll is missing." I dismiss this message, and the app starts right up. Go figure
  • I have an old machine running XP at my disposal (I am in fact using it now), so I do have another Stargate available if things go terribly, terribly wrong and we need to communicate.
I won't do anything until I see a reply to this post. If your advice is "go for it, anyway," I will. What do I have to lose?

Thanks for your patience. I will merely cower in the corner until I hear back on this post.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 12, 2019 Views 13,369 Applies to: